What I love about this picture

squatting dog

We don't have as far to go, as we've already been
You know what I love about this old Vietnam pic? Look at it, look closely for a minute, look at the faces, postures, see their attitude's.
I see black, white, latino and Asian. I see the bad boy's, the joker, the inner city slick boy, the clean cut country boy, the nerd, the surfer dude, the seen too much vet of the group, the oh shit what am I doing here newbie... and they are all standing as brothers, that's what I love about this pic :)

brothers to the end.jpg

Question——-The fellow in the front row, third from left. Was he actually 18 or over? He looks to be maybe 14.

Question——-The fellow in the front row, third from left. Was he actually 18 or over? He looks to be maybe 14.
I thought that guy was South Vietnamese, attached to this unit.
My husband, a Canadian, fought in Korea when he was 15. He lied about his age, said he was 19 (he thought 18 would be suspicious) and was over 6 feet tall, and they bought it. 15.

I thought that guy was South Vietnamese, attached to this unit.
My husband, a Canadian, fought in Korea when he was 15. He lied about his age, said he was 19 (he thought 18 would be suspicious) and was over 6 feet tall, and they bought it. 15.
I thought maybe he was Vietnamese also, but then as I kept looking at him, I thought no matter what, he doesn’t look to be over 18. Do you think?

As I keep looking at the picture, I see some guys with and some without a shirt. It was so hot and humid over there. When we were in the jungles with all the vegetation, it was very hard to breathe. Our Sgt., who was on his second tour, told us to think of it as being tropical, like Hawaii. Yeah, right!

When the rains came, it made it worse. For some reason, I had trouble breathing over there with the high humidity and the rain was worse. It also smelled bad. On patrol around Bien Ho, we came upon 3 or 4 dead bodies that had been laying for a few days. Talk about stink.

BTW, they weren’t our guys. We never left anyone behind. They were VC, or a.k.a. Charlie.

Last edited:
You may have been surprised. I was sure that some of those little guys were just kids. In one village, I saw older people, like maybe over 60 or 70, carrying weapons.

Central highlands mostly. However, the Army saw a chance to use them in the lower regions also. After the VC slaughtered a village in 1967, they became some of our finest gorilla fighters.
Oh, yeah. I remember those little guys that used the machetes. The village that you mention, is that the one where the VC torched it at night when everyone was sleeping?

Hey Dog: With you having so many pictures, I have to wonder if you worked for "Stars and Stripes?"

Hey Dog: With you having so many pictures, I have to wonder if you worked for "Stars and Stripes?"

No stars and stripes for me. :) I had a couple of camera's, and when ever had a chance, I snapped pictures. I have put quite a few online in various forums and share them with lot's of folks. Every once in a while, someone will send me some of their pics. Like the one with the man eating tiger they killed. :eek: Down in the Delta region, we didn't have any tigers. (none I ever heard of anyway). Which was fine with me as we had enough different snakes, spiders, centipede's, bats, and multiple biting beetles. :(
The tiger I spoke of.

tiger (2).jpg

Back