What if any accommodations do you make for kids/grandkid when they visit?

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
remember, you have to live the rest of your life with the choices you make in the next few days.. so make them for you...

@hollydolly mentioned this in another thread and I didn’t want to hijack that thread so I decided to make another one. Just last night Ron and I were discussing this concept, how frequently we make decisions based on needs or
references of the grandkids or kids rather than our own.

As we’ve been working to renovate the house, buy or make new furniture, rearrange and decorate we found ourselves falling into the habit of considering decisions based on what would work for the grandkids and in some cases our adult children even more than ourselves.

e.g. The couch can’t be too light in color because it will be too easy for the grands to dirty it. The living room arrangement needs to be this way not that so there’s lots of floor space for the grands to play. The floor lamp should be so and so, we should install a ceiling fan etc because of kids’ preferences rather than our own.

Then we realized how ridiculous we were being.🤦🏼‍♀️ Even though we’re a very close- knit family and we have gatherings here all the time now that everyone is vaccinated, those times still only comprise a very small percentage of our lives. WE live here all the time, therefore WE get to make whatever decisions we want to for US!

We still accommodate the grandkids in many ways. The guest room has a dresser filled with puzzles and books and craft stuff, crayons and markers and stickers, toys and games. There’s a big tub outside in porch area where we spend a lot of time that’s filled with outside toys..water guns and big collecting equipment, chalk, balls, all manner of planes and other things that fly. There’s a couple jars on the kitchen counter that are always filled with granola bars and other snacks, foods in the panty and fridge that we never eat but kids and family do….things like that.

Those of you who have family that visit frequently, what do you do?

They’re teens now so it’s not an issue. As long as they have wifi, they’re happy.

They only came once a year so it wasn’t a big deal to move the few pieces of fragile antiques. For the one that is allergic to nuts, we have to super clean the house so there’s absolutely no residue of them.

Good idea to design the house for yourselves. It won’t be long until they grow up.

Timely! My granddaughter and her friend, along with my Son are visiting a few days next month!
I'm much more concerned with what to feed them as they are so finiky!

When my two youngest grandkids come over to spent the night these days, it isn't really a big deal. They live nearby, and usually take turns coming for the night. .. In my 3rd floor apt., I have a daybed in the living room.
They like the outdoor patio best I think .. can get on their phones (privately) with friends. .
For them, the attraction at my apartment is going up and down the elevators, and taking my bag of trash to the chute down the hallway
..lol
All the buildings in my complex sorta form a large pentagon shape, and a person can walk the length of all nine buildings via connecting hallways and never step outside - so that becomes a fun game to them, about 30 minutes each floor. (timed by them)
They enjoy taking my dog for his walks too ... plenty of exercise while they visit Grandma!

Last edited:

Back