What Is The Average Time To Recoup Losses From A Market Dive?

fmdog44

I was watching one of Susie Ormans lectures and she said it takes on the average of ten yers to get back to where you were before a market correction. Now, I realize there are many factors but lets say $100,000 in 50/50 stocks & bonds for a 10% correction. I can't find this number in my website searches but I don't believe for one second it tales ten years.

When the market tanked in 2008 it took me until 2013 to get my portfolio balance back to where it had been.

This is not a very scientific example because I was living totally from my portfolio during those years.

It also does not take into account the cost/lost opportunity to move forward during those five years, it was five years spent just getting back to where I had been.

I just tallied up 2018 and my balance is down from last year by about 2.69% but 2017 was such a great year that the minor drop is pretty insignificant.

I just try to stick with my plan.

aa10616231_635560089893209_534086060664986319_n.jpg

there is no real recovery time you can hang a hat on because it is all over the map .. if you are looking for a number to hang your hat on it is like asking how long is a rope .

Last edited:
it really seems that recoveries are based on whether it was a correction or a bear market. drops of more than 20% have taken longer to recover and range from 2,112 days to just 84 days . the mean is 684

drops of less than 20% range from 25 days to 270 with a mean of 121

each downturn is different so all that counts is the one you are in .
i-T52wGCm-M.jpg

i-6LScWhq-S.jpg

Last edited:

Back