What is wrong with using wood to heat your home?

Beautiful sight, Keesha!:)
And so reassuring, when you see it all ready. (y)

I can picture it later on, with a few feet of snow and ice on top! ;)

When it is cold , and they freeze together somewhat, do you pull pieces out from wherever you can loosen them up?
OR, do you try to take from the top?:unsure:
Thanks Kaila. It IS reassuring that our house will have enough natural fuel for the winter. We have a tank of fuel for emergencies.

The wood isn’t left out here under the tarp for the entire season. It’s left there for about 6 weeks and moved to a shed where it’s stored for the season.

This way whatever is left over has enough tarp left to cover it completely and not as stuck together.

It’s a messy job but I do enjoy a nice wood fire.
It’s very peaceful and mesmerizing. The ambiance it adds is amazing.

We will use this ash and mix it with some aged poplar so it burns nice and hot.

That's interesting, Keesha!
Thanks for the reply!

It's the sort of job that feels rewarding.
The shed will make it a lot easier to get the pieces , later on!

Many people make statements just to stir things up. It certainly sounds like you are being extremely logical when burning the wood to heat your home. There is no need to listen to these people who just want to cause trouble. Go about your own business and enjoy your Winters in the comfort of your warm cozy home.

I'm pretty much set with wood for the Winter. Our Son-in-Law and Grandson brought over another huge pile from the grandkids house a couple of days ago, and it looks like there is probably between 8 to 10 cords in the stack. Now, I just have to get the log splitter out every couple of weeks and bring some split wood up behind the house. It's all green wood, but I have a half cord of good seasoned wood and kindling ready to act as "starter" wood. Once I get a bed of good coals started, I can throw the green stuff in, and it will burn twice as long. I made a test run during a cold snap last week, and the green wood burned for over 24 hours. The way the forecast looks, I will probably start the Bryan furnace up seriously Friday or Saturday, and keep it going pretty much for the next 5+ months....which is just about normal here.

Got my wood in the shed, 10 face cords, 4 more stacked outside. Now splitting by hand about 30 stumps, rock maple and another downed beech that the winds took down. Like to be ahead a bit...never know.

we moved from NC about 4 years ago to be near our daughter here in corn country southern Illinois. ...we found a property with lots of trees and we're surprised how much tree work is going on around here....we make good use of it

Back