What Is Your Christmas Menu?

🎄To start we’ll have a cheese board my granddaughter will make. My daughter will be doing the cooking at my house. Prime Rib, Ham, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, carrots, green bean casserole. For dessert she made Chocolate Cream Pie ( from scratch) her grandmothers recipe! This is my first Christmas with my family in 20 years since we were in Florida they were here in NE. I hope you all enjoy your day no matter the food. 😊🎄

OMG. we have so much food in the fridge and freezers I couldn't tell you what we'll be having.

It's only going to be us 2 tomorrow, and hubs is Vegan so we never eat the same meals...

I may have duck rolls with hoisin and plum sauce ... or I could have Gammon joint with baked potato and veggies... and make the rest into Bacon and lentil soup... or I could have smoked salmon or trout... or I could have chicken and ham & leek pie with veggies ..or I could just have nibbles at lots of other things..pigs in blankets..or blini's and lobster mousse.. so much choice...but it won't be much of anything whatever we choose because neither of us are big eaters.. . Long gone are the days of slaving over a hot stove all day for lots of people

We are having a classic, traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings including stuffing, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips, fennel root, gravy, cranberry sauce, side salad, dinner rolls, gluten free cake with ice cream and hazel nut coffee to finish. ( I may have a splash of baileys in mine)

We also have some sliced glazed ham already cooked.

Note: I think I’ve already gained back all the weight I lost 😏🙃

The thing is about ''classic Christmas dinners'' is that we as brits have that as our traditional Sunday lunch every week.. so it's not anything to look forward to at the festive season. Yesterday after shopping we went to the pub which of course is all decked out in Christmas style, and we had a typical Sunday/Christmas lunch ..Roast beef, roast potaoes, Yorkshire puddings, 3 veggies, cranberry sauce, beef gravy .. etc.. so I try and have something a little different on Christmas day

Tonight I'll have a piece of breaded haddock, cabbage salad, and fries.

Tomorrow my big treat for breakfast is a ruby red grapefruit from Florida. It may not seem like a big deal but I have to limit grapefruit because of my statin medication so it's a once a year treat for me.

Lunch will be ham, kielbasa w/horseradish, glazed sweet potatoes, cabbage salad, and green beans. I was going to make a small dish of apple crisp but I've decided to hold off and have a dish of ice cream with SF maple syrup and a few chopped pecans.

I don't bake anymore but it doesn't seem like Christmas without an old biscuit tin lined with wax paper and filled with homemade treats so I dipped a few pecan halves in SF dark chocolate to make me feel like I'm still in the game.

s-l300.jpg

Christmas Eve (family and a few guests):
Apps:
Cold shrimp with homemade chili sauce
Smoked whitefish
Crudites with hummus

Dinner:
Tortellini Alfredo
Sausage, peppers & onions (regular and vegan sausage versions)
Sauteed mushrooms
Pizza (dairy and vegan versions)
Caesar salad

Christmas cookies!!!

Christmas Day (family only):

Leftover apps from Christmas Eve
Shrimp scampi
Tofu scampi
Diced red potatoes with rosemary & sage
Green beans amandine
Refreshed leftovers from the day before (my kids love these foods and would be raiding the fridge to get them out if I didn't serve them again)

Christmas cookies and whatever desserts my daughter & DILs bring.

Not all are vegan foods, but we make exceptions on Christmas Eve & Day.

Christmas Eve (family and a few guests):
Apps:
Cold shrimp with homemade chili sauce
Smoked whitefish
Crudites with hummus

Dinner:
Tortellini Alfredo
Sausage, peppers & onions (regular and vegan sausage versions)
Sauteed mushrooms
Pizza (dairy and vegan versions)
Caesar salad

Christmas cookies!!!

Christmas Day (family only):
Leftover apps from Christmas Eve
Shrimp scampi
Tofu scampi
Diced red potatoes with rosemary & sage
Green beans amandine
Refreshed leftovers from the day before (my kids love these foods and would be raiding the fridge to get them out if I didn't serve them again)

Christmas cookies and whatever desserts my daughter & DILs bring.

Not all are vegan foods, but we make exceptions on Christmas Eve & Day.
I'm calling for a plane ticket now....

Try to fly into Burbank, if possible. The 405 is horrific at that time of day.

Please remember to bring your wrapped "Tipsy Elephant" gift for the exchange. Liquor that most folks would like with value of $20-$25. It's a hoot!

p.s. We already bought non-alcoholic gifts for the kids so they get to join in the fun.
I'll bring the booze; what a nice idea. But Burbank's runway is so short. I know, I'll just grab a chopper at LAX and land on your roof!

iu

Aunt Bea, why not change your statin. Simvastatin is the only one that excludes grapefruit completely. Other ones are OK with grapefruit in moderation.

Now dinner..... fairly traditional in the Lightning household. Roast turkey, pork or ham, stuffing, roast potatoes and veg - probably parsnips and sprouts. And of course, wine.
No starter or pudding.

If my oven works, roasted chicken thighs, sweet potato puffs and Brussels sprouts. If not, braised chicken thighs and microwaved Brussels sprouts.

Last year I had chicken nuggets, cauliflower puffs, baked potatoes and homemade cranberry relish.

Christmas 2018.jpg

Christmas 2017, I had beef tips with mushrooms, broccoli, mashed sweet potato and homemade cranberry relish.

christmas dinner 2017.jpg

Last edited:
We are going to my brother's Christmas Eve....We all bring something...I made Crab's and Spaghetti...Red gravy....Spaghetti will be made at
my brother's....We have 7 fishes....Everyone brings an item...Gift's for everyone...I'm about to load the care with gifts....

We have the same tradition of the 7 fishes on Christmas Eve. On Christmas day we are having the wedding soup, Lasagna ,salad, and cannoli's ,cake and ice cream for desert. This year my daughter is having dinner at her house for all of us. She said she only wants me to be there and not worry about doing any of the cooking.

Try to fly into Burbank, if possible. The 405 is horrific at that time of day.

Please remember to bring your wrapped "Tipsy Elephant" gift for the exchange. Liquor that most folks would like with value of $20-$25. It's a hoot!

p.s. We already bought non-alcoholic gifts for the kids so they get to join in the fun.
I suggest Orange County, although further, it's bigger and the runways are longer.

Back