What is your definition of "Old"

Ladybj

Live, Laugh and Love
Being that I have reached the mature age of 62, I am in my right mind, loving life, etc.. When we were young, some of us thought 60 was old. Now that I am over 60, it is NOT old. Just my opinion but aches and pains does not indicate being old. There are several young adults with aches and pains as well as health issues.

We have been taught through the years what "old" looks and feels like. I have changed my perspective. I feel "old" is a matter of choice as to what you feel what old looks and feels like.

Being that I have reached the mature age of 62, I am in my right mind, loving life, etc.. When we were young, some of us thought 60 was old. Now that I am over 60, it is NOT old. Just my opinion but aches and pains does not indicate being old. There are several young adults with aches and pains as well as health issues.

We have been taught through the years what "old" looks and feels like. I have changed my perspective. I feel "old" is a matter of choice as to what you feel what old looks and feels like.
I like your perspective about aging! I have seen some spritely people in their 80s living their life fully and they are my role models. I want to be like them in 20 some years, if possible. However, there is one problem, and that is our genes age as we age, and certain genes - like diabetes genes or cancer genes - that have been hiding all these years start to pop up as we get older. So even though we might not feel old, a certain part of us marches on with time, irrespective of what we think. Saying this from experience, and witnessing it in my older relatives (diabetes/cancer/pacemaker/stroke), I have curbed my food intake and maintained a daily walking regimen just to feel healthy. I can't live the way I used to live and be as active as when I was younger, unfortunately.

Just added this in - So, to me, old is when you give up on life, no matter the age.

To me, age is just a number. I will consider myself "old" when I can no longer maintain a fairly active routine...yardwork, gardening, etc. In the meantime, I try to take care of my health, and adjust my activities a bit to compensate for the bodily "age".
I like your post. If you are not able to maintain a fairly active routine - would that be considered "old" or you not able to maintain? There are younger adults that are no longer able to maintain their life style due to medical issues.

I like your post. If you are not able to maintain a fairly active routine - would that be considered "old" or you not able to maintain? There are younger adults that are no longer able to maintain their life style due to medical issues.

I refer to "old" in the context of retirees who are basically healthy and fit. There are those in their "20's" who suffer some sort of disability that ends their ability to lead a normal life.

You aren't old until all the names in your little black book end in "MD."

My definition of "old" has changed over the years. I don't feel at all old at 64. I still exercise 5 times a week and now that I don't have the stress of working I feel better than ever. My mother lived to 89 with lots of pre-existing conditions so I'm not putting a limit on how long I will live.

My inspiration is a friend who is 95 years young and she still lives by herself and drives. She has her family over for the holidays and cooks for them. She has an affinity for Africa and typically travels there for African safaris twice a year (not during Covid). She just retired last year from an office job. :oops: I'll have what she's having!

With that said...

Getting Old.jpeg

I'm in my seventies now but I don't consider myself to be old. However, my neighbour is about the same age as me and I refer to her as 'the old woman downstairs' ! A little while ago, a delivery driver asked me to take in a parcel for 'the old woman across the street'....who is actually younger than me. Not quite sure what to make of that. It seems that old age is in the eye of the beholder.

"Old" is about 10 years older than I am.
I always think that too... :LOL:.

..now in my mid 60's..I don't feel old until the pain in my hands or my back decide to play up.. otherwise I kinda feel like I;m cheating old age sometimes... especially when I look at pictures of my grandparents at the same age.. they looked like the equivalent of 80's today when they were in their 50's and 60's..., but then they had hard lives.. and of course not the free public healthcare we enjoy today in the UK.

Last edited:

Back