What Kind Of Dog Is It?

Lee

On a walk today I came across an interesting new breed and asked what it was. It was a Labradoodle the owner informed me, a Thoroughbred Labradoodle.

Now if it is a Labrador Retriever bred with a Poodle then how is it a Thoroughbred?

What's up with these new designer dogs? I'm waiting to see a cross between a Corgi and a Greyhound. They could name it a Corhound.

On a walk today I came across an interesting new breed and asked what it was. It was a Labradoodle the owner informed me, a Thoroughbred Labradoodle.

Now if it is a Labrador Retriever bred with a Poodle then how is it a Thoroughbred?

What's up with these new designer dogs? I'm waiting to see a cross between a Corgi and a Greyhound. They could name it a Corhound.
Found the meaning: 1 : bred from the best blood through a long line : purebred thoroughbred dogs. 2a capitalized : of, relating to, or being a Thoroughbred horse. b : having characteristics resembling those of a Thoroughbred. 3 : thoroughly trained or skilled a thoroughbred soldier. thoroughbred.

So if they're two different types of thoroughbreds, maybe they're still called thoroughbreds, hmmm....

tenor.gif

We used to call crossbreeds "mutts''. They were never less lovable, however.

Today's breeders hit paydirt and took the public for a big ride with this "designer dogs" B.S. for exorbitant prices.

I won't repeat my rant about the Kennel Clubs demanding mutilations of some dogs as the "standard of the breed" or the other problems they have caused dogs.

We used to call crossbreeds "mutts''. They were never less lovable, however.

Today's breeders hit paydirt and took the public for a big ride with this "designer dogs" B.S. for exorbitant prices.

I won't repeat my rant about the Kennel Clubs demanding mutilations of some dogs as the "standard of the breed" or the other problems they have caused dogs.

And mutts are also genetically stronger, smarter, and tougher. I don't breed my pets, so as long as I like their looks, I don't care about their ''papers".

My ex GF had a Labradoodle. I never heard of it until I started dating her. I read they were designed for people who wanted a Lab but didn't want a dog that sheds. Poodles don't shed.

When we were kids, my sister had a dog that was part Poodle and part German Shepherd. He was, by any assessment, visually ambiguous. He had the body of a German Shepherd, but was only about two-thirds the size. His head and his turn-up-in-a-circle tail were all German Shepherd, but his ears were large, flat, hanging, Poodle ears. He was about 70% white and the rest was random blotches of black. He was covered with short and very curly poodle hair. “What the hell kind of dog is that?” was a question she was asked regularly.

We had a dog that was a collie/German shepherd mix. Long collie snout, long collie hair, collie tail but perfect shepherd markings. Absolutely perfect. She was a good dog with the best qualities of both breeds.

Our best dog was a Schnoodle, miniature poodle/miniature schnauzer mix. Adorable and about the smartest dog on earth. She was epileptic, though.

The dog we adopted in Turkey was the offspring of the town floozie of indeterminate breed and a handsome border collie that had come down from the mountain with the apparent aim of impregnating every available female dog in town. Our pup was gorgeous but didn't have a functioning brain cell in his skullcase. Sweet dog but about the dumbest one I've ever come across.

The dog I grew up with was an indeterminate breed that my dad brought back from Japan after the war. He rescued it as a tiny puppy from a sinking Japanese warship and it became his ship's mascot. He received permission to bring the dog back to the U.S.

Double J:
I wondered where the town floozies were hanging out, didn't know they had gone to the dogs.

Post 5, that critter sure wasn't blessed with good looks.

My dog Henry is of indeterminate parentage -- even the vet can't figure him out, except that he disagrees with the shelter's designation of his probable breed.

I don't give a hoot what breed Henry is, though. He is a great big ol' brown sort of brindle with some spots dog and he is sweet as he can be. He gave me the "I'm your dog!" look at the shelter and that, along with some big sloppy kisses, was all it took. Now he doesn't like to let me out of his sight and he sleeps with me every night; he's also 70 pounds of dorky lap dog and I love him to pieces.

Since I have had my dog Gigi,I have become very enamored of this breed (Great Pyrenees). They do,however,have two drawbacks. They shed terribly and they bark A Lot! So the other day,I happened to hear of Pyredoodles and researched them. Poodles have long been my favorite breed-I had 5 at one time. They all passed away at age 17,within months of each other. Was a very tough year.

In researching the Pyredoodles,I learned that they use Standard Poodles that are "low barkers"-meaning they don`t "live" to bark. And of course,the resulting offspring won`t shed. So I am going to get myself on a list for a possible rescue or adoption of an older dog. Gigi could use a buddy more her size (Shorty just doesn`t cut it) and I definitely don`t want a puppy-I am over that stage of life. It has been so nice getting Gigi at age 2,with no housebreaking issues or chewing up the entire house. She is actually exceptional-most 2 yo will still chew but she NEVER does.

these are our 3 Labradoodles.... My daughter Got them from a great breeder, but they cost a fortune

we lost the big chestnut brown one last summer he was 12 and had multiple strokes...:( , still got the other 2 but they're getting old now, but still really full of energy...

I took this picture literally days before scruffy passed, he was such a stoical gentle dog...

4f6282b4-627d-412c-a6c4-46c905579d47-zpsg3geolse-jpg-original.jpg

here 's the 3 of them... when they were all under 3 years old...

Scruff-Stan-Dig3-jpg-original.jpg

..and now we have these 2 doodles left...one is medium sized, (about the size of a collie) he's 10 and the black one is the elder and the size of a miniature poodle... he's 11...

I took this picture of the 2 doodle boys in July...

IMG-2706.jpg

@Lc jones - I LOVE German Shepherds, they're my favorite breeds. I can't afford a purebred and am too old for new pets, plus I have the cats and big dogs can easily knock off a senior off balance. I did have one, but he was 90% white Shepard and 10% Labrador. Max was a sweety, rescued him from shelter when he was 3 years old. He kept running away and owner got tired of it. He ran away 3 times from me and luckily nothing bad happened to him.

Our 2nd dog looked like a black lab with longer legs and tail .. his mother was a white German Shepherd. All his life, he had one white hair on the back of his neck - "a gift from his mother", I called it. That was Mackie.

In Oz, we had a Shepherd, Max. Big boy he was:
Me and Max at vet..JPG

Back