What kind of restaurant fish you like?

I live near some fishing ports so I can buy fresh fish, virtually just off the boat. As a result I would rarely eat seafood in a UK restaurant. However, when I am abroad, I particularly like Black Scabbard and Octopus which don't seem to appear on UK menus.
IMO, You can't beat Belgian mussels.

I only eat fish at home, salmon or haddock. Or canned tuna for a quick sandwich.
I too, usually only eat fish at home. I like them all except bluefish, tilapia and mackerel. I will eat fried fish as in fish and chips at a place with a good reputation.

I'll eat some lake fish but much prefer ocean fish and shellfish.

We still have a couple of family-owned fish markets and restaurants where you can get a nice piece of fried haddock, my second choice is fried cod.

I also enjoy a piece of scrod topped with a few buttered crumbs and poached/baked/broiled in butter.

At home, it's usually my stash of Stouffer's Classics Fish Fillet cut from pollock. I prepare the fish with a salad or a side of broccoli and then a few days later I prepare the mac and cheese with another light side.

1581287100561.jpeg

It's difficult for me to find any decent frozen fish for home use. Most of the plain fish in the frozen food section seems to be oddly shaped leftover cuts or scraps of fins and tails frozen in individual four-ounce portions.

Fish to avoid.
Rock fish, tile fish and mackral for mercury concerns. Catfish, black fin tuna for hormones concerns. Anything caught out of the Mekong River in Vietnam because it is one of the worlds most polluted rivers. Tilapia has many toxins. I think I read Cod is of no health benefits. I never eat fish from oriental buffets.

I've had many kinds like cod and scrod and catfish and tilapea. I don't eat fish often, not a huge fan of it but all the ones I had I enjoyed. I only eat it once in awhile. I think now there is to be a concern with mercury, too, isn't there? Or is that just with tuna? I don't know a lot about this.

Freshly caught fish I prefer. My husband either catches it or it gets it flown in from Newfoundland where it’s caught by his friends & relatives.
I’m not a fan of shellfish and raw fish is out of the question. The only thing I eat raw are fruits and vegetables.

• Octopus, pressure-cooked and grilled
  • Squid, cooked
  • Langoustines, cooked
  • Lobster (for spouse), cooked
  • Dungeness Crab (him again)
  • Shrimps
  • Hokkaido scallops (preferably raw)
  • Dayboat scallops, cooked
  • Hokkaido uni, sea urchin (much better than Mendocino or Santa Barbara US varieties)
  • Hamachi (yellowtail), especially the toro, belly cut; better raw than cooked
  • Sea Trout (aka Ocean Trout), both cooked and raw
  • Alaskan Sablefish, sear-roasted
  • Seabass, steamed Chinese-style
  • Salmon, especially Copper River King and Coho; raw or cooked
  • Monkfish (but dubious sustainability), sear-roasted
  • BBQ eel, Japanese style
  • Skate wings, cooked
  • Trout, sauteed in brown butter with crisp skin
  • Mackerel (me, not spouse), salt-grilled
  • Anchovies, salted or batter-fried
We usually request our fish cooked medium-rare, which is standard in our area for "Do NOT overcook this fish!"

We don't go to any chain restaurants. We did go once to a Pacific Catch with one of our dining groups - it's a Western U.S.-based chain. It was decent and a good value.

Fish to avoid.
Rock fish, tile fish and mackral for mercury concerns. Catfish, black fin tuna for hormones concerns. Anything caught out of the Mekong River in Vietnam because it is one of the worlds most polluted rivers. Tilapia has many toxins. I think I read Cod is of no health benefits. I never eat fish from oriental buffets.
You're right about the Mekong! (where a lot of Tilpia are farmed)

Cod generally provides a lean source of protein, several B vitamins, and multiple important minerals for your body.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-cod-healthy#nutrition

What kind of restaurant fish you like?

Well prepared salmon does it for me.
But, it's been awhile, since my son is a commercial fisherman.
Never knew how good tuna was until I had it fresh
Boy, and how! Years ago our neighbor went deep sea fishing and they caught a tuna. He gave my mother a good chunk of his share and she made a simple type of bouillabaisse. My father's family were visiting and we all went crazy for it.

I like bream fish, I had it at a cook- out once it was nice n sweet, I’ve never seen it on a menu tho. otherwise all shell fish cooked or steamed.🍤🍤

My daughter has been to South Korea a number of times to conferences and has enjoyed Korean seafood 'banquets'. Interestingly, she said that many of the American guests were reluctant to try the more unusual dishes. She said that jellyfish was very strange, but the only thing she really didn't like was Sea Urchin.

I'm not a great lover of freshwater fish. I don't think they have (in general) much flavour.

I am not a "fish" person and never order it when eating out. In fact, if I am in an eatery and a waitperson walks by my table with an order of seafood and I get a whiff of it, it turns my stomach.

Back