What kinds of things have you found to do that are fulfilling since you retired?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I am retired but not by choice. Any how I am trying to find ways to motivate myself to do things. I am not into tough love so don't try that on me please. lol. I am trying to take small steps into making my life more meaningful. Well, please tell me what you do to make your retirement life more meaningful to you. I appreciate hearing what you do most of all.

My garden and fur critters...I could buy the farm tomorrow. But the plants would die and best buddie's husband is terrified of Callie...I am sentenced to live on.

My garden and fur critters...I could buy the farm tomorrow. But the plants would die and best buddie's husband is terrified of Callie...I am sentenced to live on.
I have been thinking of buying plants lately. I have some window sills to put them on but they are small so I can only get maybe 4 plants. I have my fur critter like you fur. And I have my feathered critters. Every day I sit here and watch the birdies fly around and play and the dog watches them and I watch the dog and I sit here and think "that's my little family." :)

Well in urban hospitals there are babies left alone. If Mami has to pass a drug test...or fight for rights to her baby...wish I could love those left behind. Dogs perceived as "Pit bulls" same thing but worse, big head, small eyes, huge shoulders...yup you have a man eater here, put him down now.

I get "bored" pretty quickly if I have nothing to do but sit around in front of the TV all day. When I was working, I always had gobs of things to do, but the first few weeks of "retirement" quickly showed that sitting around with little to do but mow the yard, and run around to the stores, etc., was Not going to cut it. Soooo...we started looking for a place in the country, where we could stay active and fit. We found such a place, and there is a never ending series of good healthy outdoor work to be done every day the weather permits. There is NO substitute, IMO, for staying active as a person grows older.

Find a Hobby, do volunteer work, exercise regularly, eat smaller portions of healthy food, etc. Keep your mind occupied with reading, or joining in something like the games on this forum. Remember....if you Don't use it, you Lose it.

Well in urban hospitals there are babies left alone. If Mami has to pass a drug test...or fight for rights to her baby...wish I could love those left behind. Dogs perceived as "Pit bulls" same thing but worse, big head, small eyes, huge shoulders...yup you have a man eater here, put him down now.
Thanks.

we (wife and I) garden, I write a little and I work part time now at the local hardware plus 12 grandchildren we see lots
I would like to write but have to decide what about. That's great you stay occupied.

I get "bored" pretty quickly if I have nothing to do but sit around in front of the TV all day. When I was working, I always had gobs of things to do, but the first few weeks of "retirement" quickly showed that sitting around with little to do but mow the yard, and run around to the stores, etc., was Not going to cut it. Soooo...we started looking for a place in the country, where we could stay active and fit. We found such a place, and there is a never ending series of good healthy outdoor work to be done every day the weather permits. There is NO substitute, IMO, for staying active as a person grows older.

Find a Hobby, do volunteer work, exercise regularly, eat smaller portions of healthy food, etc. Keep your mind occupied with reading, or joining in something like the games on this forum. Remember....if you Don't use it, you Lose it.
Glad you found a nice place that keeps you busy. I am trying to get into some of my hobbies, yes, I need motivation and am working on that. I already eat smaller portions of healthy foods and don't really know why you told me that. Didn't really like getting the tough love thing I said I didn't want. But thanks for responding.

Travel and getting to sleep in when I want.....that fulfills me.
Sounds good to me!

I couldn't live without my garden. In the winter it is house plants and planning the spring garden. I have a little note book I keep as to what I have done in my yard in past years. What grows and what doesn't. Just now I was out watering, thinking about something I will try next year. I enjoy having the time for little things. My Zinnias are just starting to bloom so I will pick a few for the kitchen table. In winter I love having the time to try a new recipe or make cookies when I feel like it. I am still hooked on the adult coloring books and of course reading. Sometimes I get the urge to change the color in a room in our house. A little more often than the hubby would like,I think. Then there are my photo albums. Sorting, getting rid of doubles, framing some. Fixing them on the computer. I have never ever been bored. For me, not enough hours in the day.

I couldn't live without my garden. In the winter it is house plants and planning the spring garden. I have a little note book I keep as to what I have done in my yard in past years. What grows and what doesn't. Just now I was out watering, thinking about something I will try next year. I enjoy having the time for little things. My Zinnias are just starting to bloom so I will pick a few for the kitchen table. In winter I love having the time to try a new recipe or make cookies when I feel like it. I am still hooked on the adult coloring books and of course reading. Sometimes I get the urge to change the color in a room in our house. A little more often than the hubby would like,I think. Then there are my photo albums. Sorting, getting rid of doubles, framing some. Fixing them on the computer. I have never ever been bored. For me, not enough hours in the day.
Thanks for sharing that Ruth.

I love to garden, balcony for three of the four seasons, indoor plants, including trees. Writing poetry, volunteering with refugees, processing food with my dehydrator. Learning new things via the Internet.

I love to garden, balcony for three of the four seasons, indoor plants, including trees. Writing poetry, volunteering with refugees, processing food with my dehydrator. Learning new things via the Internet.
That's so cool you have some trees growing indoors. I bet my birds would like that. Thank you for that Shali.

Do you have a senior center near where you live? The one near me has an incredible number of fun and educational activities, also lots of trips, etc.

I enjoy performing with several musical groups, playing the piano and recorder, playing bridge and Scrabble, writing for our community newspapers, balcony gardening and a little bit of political activity with our Democratic Club. The computer also provides a great deal of entertainment (too much!)

As others have pointed out, there are all sorts of opportunities to help those in need: the food bank, the local hospital, the library, etc.

Do you have a senior center near where you live? The one near me has an incredible number of fun and educational activities, also lots of trips, etc.

I enjoy performing with several musical groups, playing the piano and recorder, playing bridge and Scrabble, writing for our community newspapers, balcony gardening and a little bit of political activity with our Democratic Club. The computer also provides a great deal of entertainment (too much!)

As others have pointed out, there are all sorts of opportunities to help those in need: the food bank, the local hospital, the library, etc.
Thank you Sunny. There are senior centers in my city but I don't think I'm old enough to go to them yet. I have to find out the age you have to be to go there.

A fella I met introduced me to two things that have become the basis of my "fun" (after about 10 years, I have decided that golf is a dumb thing).

One was pickin' and grinnin' - I do that weekly with a like minded group. We also have a sub-group that gets together for doo-wop and folk.

The other is getting involved in local theater - on the stage, behind the stage, in the booth - it's all good. Along that line I also got involved with a group that re-creates old radio shows - great fun and very stimulating.

A fella I met introduced me to two things that have become the basis of my "fun" (after about 10 years, I have decided that golf is a dumb thing).

One was pickin' and grinnin' - I do that weekly with a like minded group. We also have a sub-group that gets together for doo-wop and folk.

The other is getting involved in local theater - on the stage, behind the stage, in the booth - it's all good. Along that line I also got involved with a group that re-creates old radio shows - great fun and very stimulating.
Thanks Ray, that all sounds like it is a whole lot of fun!

I just sent in an application to volunteer at a local hospice. I'm also spending lots of time on my yard. As an example, we have lots of Daylilies in the planting beds. I've learned how to care for them so that they should flower all summer. But, there's much to be pruned, weeding to be done, trees to be trimmed, etc. I'm also spending time learning how to use new photo software. I hate sitting in front of the TV for long periods. Much rather be active. I went to the library and got three books, something I've not done in ages. I love to read, but over the last several years I never had time. Now I have the time.

Back