What Memories Have You Created With Your Children & Grandchildren?

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
When my son was about 11, I was still in "Poor Girl" phase but I found a way for us to take a nice one week vacation at the Jersey shore in Wildwood. An ex neighbor of my parents had a home down there with her husband. I rented a room in their house. My son and I went to a carnival side show, I rented a bike for him and three wheeler for me and we biked the boardwalk. We still remember the tram going by saying "Watch the tram car please" (we thought it was "train car" for the longest..LOL). And of course we went on lots of rides. I had also taken him to the African American Heritage museum in Philly when he was about 8. We visited the Liberty Bell while there. It was his first time staying in a hotel. More recently we've stayed at our timeshare in Atlantic City a couple of times, both times taking in concerts...one indoors the other outdoors.

Also went with my two youngest grandchildren (maybe 10 and 9 at the time) and their mom to the timeshare, which is right at the Atlantic ocean. The resort has indoor activities for children and a nice sized pool. They loved going to the Fun Zone and decorating their own T-shirts, playing games in the arcade room and going swimming. Their mom drove over the bridge into Brigantine N.J. and we strolled and played on the beach. I took them for their first time to the Rainforest Cafe on the A.C. boardwalk. It features animated animals, characters, a nice sized fish tank and good food. My oldest grandson was in his 20's when he went to A.C. with me. We took walks on the beach and had heart to heart talks. Just last week, my middle grandson came over and we had an impromptu dance party right in my living room then a cool down with ambient music and a good talk. He and I have also had some nice brunches at IHOP. So many more memories with them all but too many to put here.

So what memories have you made with your children and grandchildren?

One that my granddaughter still laughs about: she LOVED playing in the bathtub. She could stay in there until she turned into a prune. One time she was taking a bath when dinnertime came and she was pleading, "one more minute! one more minute!" So, I took a board and her dinner plate and put the board across the bathtub with the plate on it and let her eat dinner in the bath. It was such a hit, that she got to do it occasionally as a treat.

Many things, not too far away though. Usually camping, the beach, museums, baseball, etc.

The last big treat was taking my grandson to the Bronx Zoo, in NYC. He discovered White Castle hamburgers when we got off the train and couldn't get enough. (they're small anyway).

I was fortunate and honoured to be a stay-at-home Mom, so I have loads of memories of doing things with my daughter throughout her life. A special memory was when she traveled alone from Toronto to South Australia for my wedding. She and I took the Overlander train from Adelaide to Melbourne to spend a weekend. We took the "Pink Bus Tour", shopping at designer clothing outlets, and partook of delicious meals around the city. Taking a shower in a moving train was an experience, and sleeping in the top bunk was like being in that ride they call the "salt & pepper shaker". She slept okay, but I didn't. These days, we spend a "girl's day" shopping and sharing dinner, about once a month.

Too many vacation memories to retell. Too many activities around the house, and my properties, to list. Lots of great memories with my daughters. No memories with my granddaughters, except parties I've been to. They're still very young, almost 5 & 3, but I'm leaving the memory making up to my daughter and sil.

We live on the opposite coast and don't get to spend that much time with them, so we try to make it special.

We took the grandchildren on a five day horseback riding vacation in the mountains of Wyoming. It was spectacular and they loved it along with my wife. It included a rodeo in Cody and a day of white water rafting. Unfortunately for me, I am not a good rider and by the fourth day my fanny asked for a badly needed break. I stayed at the cabin that day and washed clothes. It was back in the saddle on the fifth day.

We also flew each of them individually from Washington State to New York City where we took in the sights, museums, and a Broadway show. My Grandson loved Lion King, my Granddaughter loved Wicked.

On another trip they visited Charleston and Savannah which are great for their history and food. (Did I mention food?)

With our kids, just the little things. We are a blended family with 5 children. We used to always sit down to dinner with everyone at the table, beginning when they were very small. We had candles on the table and each day a different kid got to light them. For some reason that was a very big deal to the children, just lighting those candles.

We had fun vacations, too. Disney, white water rafting, camping, etc. But the day-to-day was my best memories and I hope theirs, too.

We have a son and his wife with a boy and a girl...My daughter has a husband with a son and a girl....4 Grandkids....2 are in the working
force and 1 still in High School and grandson is in College.....When the kids were little and growing up we all took vacation around
mostly the East Coast, Florida, Virginia, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Down the Jersey Shore, Washington, DC, Many other places...Oh
of course "Disney".....A couple of times.....With all of them
Our oldest grand was in baseball and Football...So we had 4 years mostly when he was playing football...
They won the Championship in our area....No one yet has beat that in their school....My youngest grandson was also a baseball
player....We went to almost every game he played....My youngest granddaughter also is in 2 sports....She will graduate next year
And will be going to college like the other 3 grandkids....My other granddaughter is a Nurse....We are very proud of all of them..
And our son and daughter and their spouses have been great parents....
I miss those days....Our first grandson is getting married this year to a very sweet girl.... Life goes On......

I have wonderful memories of my son and daughter and their children. My son has 2 sons ,one who just graduated from college last June. He has a degree in Bio Medical Engineering. He is working at a hospital now doing research on Lou Gehrig's disease. His younger brother will graduate next year. My daughter has a nine year old little girl who is amazing. I was lucky enough to be a stay home Mom and Grandmom. I loved doing homework with my grandson's and now occasionally with my granddaughter, and going to all her dance competitions. We had a wonderful weekend with the whole family celebrating my husbands Birthday. We also went on many vacations all together. I am truly Blessed.

What Memories Have You Created With Your Children & Grandchildren?

My how time flies

Memories?

I have a ton

This one is a fav

penned several years ago, and put here a year or so ago....but, you asked;

I really enjoy my grandkids that fill a portion of my leisure time.
Never thought I would.
I was a bit fastidious in my early years of fatherhood, and the gooey fingers of my own little ones would drive me up the wall,
patting and smearing the freshly windexed windows of my ’62 Impala SS…
and not just the sides, but the rear window..the one that takes a double jointed contortionist to get at the slanted crevices…
only to be filled with slobber induced graham cracker goo from an inquisitive poop factory midget.

Now? It’s been decades since I’ve given thought to the grime of the under carriage of any vehicle I have. The grommet brush and polish long retired.
My puddle jumping Wrangler has cured me of any remaining vestiges of that section of my OCDs.
And these little beings are a happy thing for me.
Some are getting toward the hulk stage, and resist my hugs a bit, so I just put ‘em in a half nelson and twist the living crap outta ‘em.
Right now, as I type (5:30 in the morn), two are sleeping in the living room, feet hangin’ off the lazy boy, the other with his head hangin’ upside down off the couch.
ALbFyYu.jpg

ggB7FUH.jpg

They are ten and thirteen now, and Papaw is no longer their fascination. But they are still wary, ‘cause they have no idea what’s coming next from me….mainly ‘cause I don’t either………..but somehow a spoon of cranberry sauce in the hand and a light wisp of the feather duster on the face just seems like the thing to do……

When my kids were growing up I tried to make things special,they always had birthday parties and a trip to Disney world as well as swimming at the local lakes nearby. It was always a struggle though. I was sick for a good seven years of their growing up period. I had celiac desease. It wasn't heard of back in the 70's it took 7 years to get a correct diagnosis.
Once it was recognized I recovered quickly but missed a lot by then,My Mom and Dad helped out tremendously.
I'm making up for lost time now.
My daughter and family moved from the west coast to the East coast. They are only 5 hours away and we see a lot of them.
I'm making up for lost time now with all of them. My family includes us in all there outings, We have gone fishing,hiking,and clamming. The little ones still remember how Oma got stuck in the mud while clamming and their dad had to pull me out.
We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge one spring
Last year my daughter took me on a Mother Daughter trip through New England. I had her all to myself,it was wonderful.
This year they have a trip planned for a week in a house on Lake Champlain. I can't wait.
I'm so happy they really have fun with me and I hope will have memories of me that my kids didn't have.

Back