What my mom told me about marriage

Oh, I AGREE! Don't even TRY to change a man's ways!
"A man convinced against his will,
is of the same opinion still!"

My Mother told me, It's just as easy to marry a rich man as a poor man!"
Sorry, but my Mother didn't know me AT ALL and that money is MEANINGLESS to me! LOVE is the ONLY THING!

My Mom never really gave me any advice but a few days before we were married we were in the car going somewhere. She was unusually quiet and then she said to me," you know he isn't going to be able to do anything."
At first I had know idea what she was talking about but then she explained how the men in the family were all blue collar. The hubby to be was white collar. All my life I saw the men fixing what needed fixing. From a lamp to a car. My broken toys as I was growing up. Hiring a fix it man was out of the question. None was ever needed. She knew I saw all that growing up and I guess had her doubts and wanted me to be aware.
It turned out that the hubby and I learned together. We put down flooring in our new home, sanded and stained doors. Put down tile,fencing, and did brick work. and sheet rocked the rooms, painted and the list goes on.
He never was any good with repair work but these days I try with my sons guidance.
I can't complain. He took care of all the finances and did it well. Back then I had no idea how to even right a check.
We made a good team.

ms gamboolgals Mom told her to always be ready.....🥰

After almost 43 years of the oilpatch, and nearing retirement by years end, my only real plan in retirement is to continue chasing ms gamboolgal around the old 4 poster bed buck neckid.

We have had the bed since we wed....and ms gamboolgal has a new fancy bed picked out from the Amish folks......

Ha, I'll chase her around the new fancy bed also..... but she's fast.....

Thank God for them Texas Gals
7zQRwi8m.jpg

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....
gamboolman....

ms gamboolgals Mom told her to always be ready.....🥰

After almost 43 years of the oilpatch, and nearing retirement by years end, my only real plan in retirement is to continue chasing ms gamboolgal around the old 4 poster bed buck neckid.

We have had the bed since we wed....and ms gamboolgal has a new fancy bed picked out from the Amish folks......

Ha, I'll chase her around the new fancy bed also..... but she's fast.....

Thank God for them Texas Gals
7zQRwi8m.jpg

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....
gamboolman....
Have her carry a bucket of water as a handicap LOL :)

I met my Husband when I was 15yrs old. We married when I was 20yrs old and the only thing my Mother said was "Gee I never thought he would marry you." (I was not her favorite child) On the other side my MIL thanked me for taking him off her hands. She adored me until the day she died. I really miss her,she was a doll.

My MIL loved me more than XH, I was the daughter she wished she had. When we were newly wed, she gave me tips on how to handle XH. She saw the happy years of our marriage, I'm glad she's gone when we divorced. She would've said...I told you so.

A friend of mine, who I used to call "my second mother", told me her MIL was so controlling she even came into the room on her wedding night to kiss her son and new DIL goodnight! :( .

She never forgot that, and I don't think it did much to enhance the anticipated passion(?). :rolleyes: .

BTW I will remember the story bout dem Texas gals that keep runnin for a good while. :giggle:(y) !

My folks didn’t give me any advice.

I on the other hand gave my children this advice before each of them married. Realize that you’re not only marrying your fiancé. You’re “marrying” their entire family....Forming a relationship that will be a part of your life for the entirety of your marriage. Whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing, whether you like them or not, that relationship will continue to prevail as part of your life going forward, so be prepared.

My daughter especially appreciated this. She married into a very large, very dysfunctional family That her husband was close with, and it’s been rocky going at times. But she at least entered into the marriage with zero expectations that her husbands family would just somehow disappear or that he would distance himself from them, and that helped a lot

Being Asian, our culture and most traditions clashed with western culture. When I chose to marry a Texan, my dad didn't object but mom was extremely dissatisfied with my judgment. Considering I was in my late 30s then and last to marry among my sibs, I "fought" for him, threw caution to the wind and got married twice ~ in Bangkok and in the states. I don't regret my choice, I bore a wonderful human that I am so proud of.

I've learned a lot in my marriage although it failed. I'm much stronger now with boundaries in place. Real life is such that tests comes before the lessons. It matters not whether I pass or fail as long as I learned my lesson and grow.

It came up in a conversation we were having. We were talking about relationships and it was actually a slip of my tongue. Talk about feeling awkward.
My mom wasn’t against the marriage, she just thought that I could have done better. (Her words.) After about 4 or 5 years, my Mom came around and started telling me how lucky I was to have married her. I never reminded my Mom what she was telling me prior to the marriage.

My Dad, OTOH, didn’t care at all. I could have married a nun and he would have been proud.

"Women marry men hoping to change them. Men marry a woman hoping she will never change." Meaning of course she is beautiful, sexy, shapely, does everything to please him 😂

Back