What sports channels do you like?

Geezerette

In a month or so I I’m planning to move to a Senior residence where they give free basic cable tv. What doc you folks think is the best add-on sports channel in the US? I’m looking into it. ESPN 2?. ESPN + ? Any other ideas? The sports I like best to watch are baseball and hockey in season. Can buy separate channels for each, but I’d rather have the mix.

My favorite sports are tennis, college football,baseball
On my basic cable system I get & watch ESPN,ESPN 2 ,Tennis Channel,like watching games on ESPN,don't watching any type of sports on FOX the play by play sportscasters are terrible

You probably won't be able to get it but, The Sports Network TSN from Canada has the best NHL coverage you can get. They cover all of the Canadian teams, so if for instance Toronto is playing in Chicago, TSN will have it live. Or if Carolina is playing in Ottawa, TSN will have it, too. Professional commentators ( usually former NHL players or coaches ) and great camera work by people who have been doing hockey games for many years. A bit of NHL trivia for you.....Did you know that NHL hockey is REALLY popular with the Sikh people in Canada, to the point that TSN has a Punjabi language play by play channel ? Yep. They also have a Innuit language NHL broadcast on radio for the far Northern parts of our country . Look into TSN if you can get it. JimB.

Thanks for all that interesting info jimintoronto! I’ll check about TSN.
You are most welcome. The 2023 International Ice Hockey Federation under 20 World Junior Championship is being played in Canada this year, in Halifax Nova Scotia and Moncton New Brunswick. Team Canada will play team USA to morrow night in the semi final round. Canada's Connor Bedard from Vancouver B/C, has already set a new goals and assists record for Canada. He is just 17, and he has already beaten the previous Worlds Junior records held by ...Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Syd Crosby and Eric Lindros. At 17 he still has 2 more years of IIHF eligibility to go. He will be (for sure ) the top NHL draft pick this year 2023. This kid is so good at such a young age that the Canadian Hockey League has granted him "special player status " which means he will be getting a free ride University scholarship at any Canadian University that he wants to attend in the future.
JimB.,

I read about Connor Bedard’s amazing record, and glad he is getting a scholarship. Just hoping he paces himself and the coaches don’t over-utilize him as his young body continues to mature!

I probably should not be here but I just gotta say it: I don't have cable, don't want it and if I did I would never watch sports. You see, I'm kinda different than your typical retired guy sitting in front of the TV with his beer.

That is why the world is so interesting. We are all different. That reminds me that my wife had a cousin, Roger, who subscribed to all 12 sport channels here in Canada but he never knew where the exercise room was in the assisted living place where he lived. Roger died early and is now history!

Exercise?I was a year round swimmer and hiker until a little after my mid 70’s. So all that finally wrecked my knees & hips, but my heart & lungs good for my age. I don’t care for football (too violent), basketball (too fast) but enjoy baseball & hockey mainly.

Exercise?I was a year round swimmer and hiker until a little after my mid 70’s. So all that finally wrecked my knees & hips, but my heart & lungs good for my age. I don’t care for football (too violent), basketball (too fast) but enjoy baseball & hockey mainly.
Have you ever watched indoor Lacrosse ? Played in a hockey arena, with out ice. Super fast game, 6 players a side, same 3 20 minute periods as in hockey, but the goal is even smaller that in hockey. The First Nations tribes in the eastern woodlands ( Think Mohawks, Iroquois, Seneca, Delaware ) played a game they called Bagataway. It was a form of pseudo warfare, fought between tribes with hundreds of men on either side. The game went on all day from sunrise. The idea was you could hit the other guys anywhere, except the head. The winners were the ones who were able to carry the ball through the goal posts, which were located about 3 or 4 miles apart.

Modern Lacrosse evolved from the Bagataway tradition, as a way for hockey players to stay in shape during the summer. Lots of running, shooting and passing. Now there are 2 professional Lacrosse leagues with teams in both Canada and the USA. JImB.

Not indoor, but being an Easterner by birth, saw the regular outdoor version played by all ages back then, considered as a tribute to Native American heritage. No one was allowed to forget how it originated.

None. Even though I did support our school teams and attended high school football games on Thanksgiving and took my son to a Harlem Globtrotters game when he was young (at least I can understand basketball), I'm not really a sports fan. My son could take it or leave it, though we both enjoyed the Globtrotters. And my husband wasn't into sports either.

Back