What Time Does the Balloon go UP?

Meanderer

Supreme Member
Hot Air Balloon Mass Ascent | Balloon Festival Barnstorf 2019
iu

"Over 20 hot air balloons started on August 24, 2019 at the balloonist festival in Barnstorf, Germany. At the beginning only a single balloon starts (called "fox"). Once this is lifted, the other balloons are allowed to begin with their launch procedure. The goal is to follow the "fox" as precisely as possible and hit a target marked by him with a sandbag. The winner of the fox hunt is the balloon whose sandbag has the shortest distance to the marked target".

Last edited:
I love seeing pictures of colorful hot air balloons in the sky. I don't recall ever seeing any in person although I used to see the Goodyear blimp quite a bit when I was younger.

View attachment 175346
I went up in one before sunrise in Northern Virginia and the view was spectacular. Getting those balloons launched is an interesting operation. Once up in the air, the silence was great, and then the burner would come on and it was pretty loud. I never had a clue that the air currents could be so different at various levels. We came down in a farmer’s field and the chase truck had a bit of a time getting to us.
Overall, I will give the experience a solid A.

Riding the wind SOLO in my hot air balloon

Welcome on board my Home Built Solo Hot air balloon, Lots going on in the air on this short flight, including an opportunity to talk to the camera and let you all know how steering a balloon works, It's only after flight and I went back to look at the video that I realised just how crazy that view over the side looks, if you have vertigo you might not feel too comfy looking over the edge as I try to explain what is happening in the air as I drift along.

Back