What to do when you crave sweets?

I use small amounts of artificially sweetened ice cream, whipped cream, pancake syrup, jam/jelly, pudding cups, chocolate syrup in almond milk and soft drinks. I also keep unsalted mixed nuts and 85% dark chocolate on hand as a treat.

The alcohol sugars used to sweeten some of these things can still elevate your blood sugar but they don't seem to raise it as much as sugar, corn syrup, etc...

Only you can decide what to let go of and what substitutes will work to satisfy your cravings.

I use small amounts of artificially sweetened ice cream, whipped cream, pancake syrup, jam/jelly, pudding cups, chocolate syrup in almond milk and soft drinks. I also keep unsalted mixed nuts and 85% dark chocolate on hand as a treat.

The alcohol sugars used to sweeten some of these things can still elevate your blood sugar but they don't seem to raise it as much as sugar, corn syrup, etc...

Only you can decide what to let go of and what substitutes will work to satisfy your cravings.

Those sugar alcohols can play hell with your digestive system, too, if you are sensitive to them. Many people, me included, are. They can also be very dangerous/fatal to pets.

Sometimes a salty snack will offset the craving for sweet. I eat some low salt potato chips.
I don't know how your sweet tooth is, but if I give it sweets it just wants more and more. I do give in now and then and am always sorry I did.

As a matter of fact my husband has just gone up to the store to buy a bag of mounds bars as well as some mini pies for the week yummy Yum Yum

I keep sugar free hard candy around. Pop one in my mouth and I’m good. But I'm not troubled with diabetes or the artificial sugar reaction, so that may not work for everyone.

I have such a craving for something sweet, but I know it isn't good for my health being a pre-diabetic. What can I do?
I can find some sugar free chocolates in Walmart in the candy section I’ve tried the Caramell nut one and it’s actually pretty good but there’s a lot of fat in them.

Ugh, I hate all the artificial sweetner stuff. Just have a handful of blueberries or other berries. If you are concerned about blood glucose levels, get a glucose meter and check your reading about an hour after eating the fruit. Some people can tolerate more than others.

The meters are relatively inexpensive. It's the strips that cost $$$$$ and here you need a scrip to get them. Now why you can buy a meter OTC and need a prescription for the strips mystifies me. I think if a doctor orders a meter, Medicare will foot thr bill.

The meters are relatively inexpensive. It's the strips that cost $$$$$ and here you need a scrip to get them. Now why you can buy a meter OTC and need a prescription for the strips mystifies me. I think if a doctor orders a meter, Medicare will foot thr bill.
You can order the strips from Amazon. And I can't believe you can't just buy them in any pharmacy; that's crazy.

Back