What treasures are you giving your child now?

Aneeda72

I wanted to make sure my daughter got certain things that my son might throw out so over the last few years I have given her a few treasures of mine. No monetary worth, just things I’ve loved. When she came last week, I gave her my wedding photo book. Gave my son a couple pictures-that’s all he wanted.

I gave her my rosary. She always loved it. It’s white beads with small pink roses. It’s not plastic, not sure what it’s made of, but it’s unique. She was happy with both, the rosary was unexpected. When she moved last year I gave her my small ceramic toy poodle which I had since I was a child. Probably paid a dime for it. She had wanted it since she was a child.

But I saved the best for last. As I pulled it out and handed it to her, I was not disappointed in her reaction. Her face literally lit up, she got a smile from ear to ear, her eyes glowed, and she said “you still have this?” Yes, I saved it for you-for 43 years. “It’s in perfect shape.” She said. “I am going to go show it to“ her husband. She practically ran out of the room.

It cost fifty cents when she was 3 years old. We used it once a year, every year at Christmas. It proves, beyond a doubt, that “things” don’t have to cost a fortune to bring a lifetime of happiness, joy, and wonderful memories. What is it? An 8x10 paperback Christmas songbook. It has all the versus to the most popular Christmas songs.

My son with DS wants his dad’s hat when he dies. It’s funny how the smallest littlest things have the greatest value.

This is a good question... I’m already wondering about who will take my mother’s wedding china. At the age they are now, I don’t think my children really care about Nortake fine china. But who knows, I’ve got a few years before it becomes an issue 😆

I've already given some of my treasures to my son. When his wife was alive she took them and packed them away, but he's slowly getting them out now. Needless to say, she at first tried to place a wedge between me and my son. Worked for awhile since we didn't speak for a couple of years. Never figured out why all this existed, but at the end it changed exponentially. Sad.

I keep hoping that someone in the family will show up with a truck!

d48b6b_c24e5ebca77348e7b7e95e81390d24ab.jpg

Back