What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

chic

SF VIP
One of my Grandmother's used to like pickled pigs feet, so she always had a jar in the fridge. When I was very little I used to eat them too and I do remember enjoying them, but now it kind of creeps me out. :oops:

One of my Grandmother's used to like pickled pigs feet, so she always had a jar in the fridge. When I was very little I used to eat them too and I do remember enjoying them, but now it kind of creeps me out. :oops:
Ewwwwww! Kinda creeps you out? 🤢lol!
Since I’m fairly squeamish, I could never eat anything like this. The weirdest things I eat are mainly just strange combinations of foods

Ewwwwww! Kinda creeps you out? 🤢lol!
Since I’m fairly squeamish, I could never eat anything like this. The weirdest things I eat are mainly just strange combinations of foods

Never eaten any pies or processed meats like Polish or German sausage?

Liquidised eyeballs, macerated ***** and flayed ligaments all help to give them their flavour!

Weirdest thing I have eaten is chocolate covered ants (in Arabia).

Yes years ago but it’s quite a bit different than pickled pigs feet.

My husband is used to all these types of foods.
He will eat just about any animal part whereas I’m very particular about what animals I eat. I’m surprised I’m not vegetarian. I’m much more open to a variety of vegetarian foods than I am animal ones.

I used to live near the coast in my early days of growing up so we had plenty of sea food stalls ''
so I tried whelks ''and boy I loved them salted with vinegar yummm bit grissly -but now I think OMG
did I actually eat them yuKKKKKKK ' now I feel sicky typing this ' lol .

I ate a few dog biscuits when I was a kid.

And then there was this stuff called "mannish water" that some Jamaican friends used to make. They also made some damned good goat.

Had Alligator a time or two. Tastes like chicken, but a whole lot more expensive.

Last edited:
Ate some dog in China
It was the best chow mein I ever tasted

Neighbor had a mentally challenged calf
It always had it's tongue hanging out, and an eternal string of drool

Got invited to their place for dinner

We had cow tongue

I can't think of anything truly weird that I've eaten. My parents were fairly adventurous foodies so before I hit double digits I had been exposed to (and enjoyed) escargot, frogs' legs, rabbit, pigs feet in tomato sauce, liver, all manner of seafood, cheeses, vegetables, etc.

Cow tongue: had it as a kid and detested it.

Let's see, turtle, crawdads, snails, octopus, and a host of weird, sometimes raw, stuff during my six years in the Far East, South America, and Africa. I don't recall turning down any of it for fear of offending my host, and of course I was generally fortified by a beer or two.
But I drew the line at drinking Habu Sake on Okinawa. Every bar on Okinawa seemed to have a large bottle of Sake into which they had shoved a Habu (Viper) Snake to ferment. No Thanks. The South Koreans had some pretty wild alcoholic beverages as well. The worst beer I ever had was in Peru.

I ate monkey brains in Singapore, along with chicken feet that was deep fried.

My Dad used to eat pickled pigs feet out of a jar and also tripe, which is the lining of a beef cow.

We have a local dish called Hog Maw, which is a pig’s stomach stuffed with sausage, potatoes, pieces of onion and carrots. Sew it shut and bake it.

I ate monkey brains in Singapore, along with chicken feet that was deep fried.

My Dad used to eat pickled pigs feet out of a jar and also tripe, which is the lining of a beef cow.

We have a local dish called Hog Maw, which is a pig’s stomach stuffed with sausage, potatoes, pieces of onion and carrots. Sew it shut and bake it.

:eek::eek::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
No way, no how I'd eat monkey brains.

Gotta say, reading over this thread makes me really glad to have moved to a plant based diet nearly 6 years ago. SF-ers who say that pea protein in Beyond Meat is disgusting should get a load of this thread!!!

My French teacher in 8th grade brought Escargot for anyone who wanted to try them. I wasn't going to eat it because I thought they were the same slimy snails I'd see in the yard. But these were small & not slimy. Tasted like shrimp. She explained that they're water snails.

Liquidised eyeballs, macerated ***** and flayed ligaments all help to give them their flavour!

Weirdest thing I have eaten is chocolate covered ants (in Arabia).

Or prairie oysters? 🤪

My French teacher in 8th grade brought Escargot for anyone who wanted to try them. I wasn't going to eat it because I thought they were the same slimy snails I'd see in the yard. But these were small & not slimy. Tasted like shrimp. She explained that they're water snails.

I love Escargot and do order them in finer restaurants when dining with other French people. It freaks other people out.

:eek::eek::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
No way, no how I'd eat monkey brains.

Gotta say, reading over this thread makes me really glad to have moved to a plant based diet nearly 6 years ago. SF-ers who say that pea protein in Beyond Meat is disgusting should get a load of this thread!!!

After the Marines, I went to college and received my degree in engineering. I applied for a job with DuPont and was hired. After a year of being on the job, I was assigned to work with a division in the Far East or what is called the Pacific Rim.

My first assignment was to visit one of our sister plants in Singapore. Before I left to go, I was given a book to read and study about Singapore cultures. My boss told me not to ignore their cultures. When I spent my first day there, the senior engineer invited me to dinner that evening, so I had to accept. We got along pretty well.

The next day at work, he asked me to hang out with him on Saturday, so I did. As we walked through the older part of Singapore, we stopped at a hawker stand. He told me that he wanted me to taste something. He bought this piece of what looked like meat or fried fat and said to taste it. I took a bite of it and then he told me that it was monkey brains. I thought he was joking only to find out later that he wasn’t. I didn’t know whether to be upset with him or laugh it off. I decided to just let it go.

The deep fried chicken feet were very crunchy, but OK. The prawns were the largest that I ever saw. It was a very interesting and educational trip. When I went back a few months later, I was more experienced and ordered my own food.

When I was on vacation in Vienna, Austria, one of my cousins sneaked horse meat to what he had made for lunch. I had previously told him I would never eat horse meat. He bought a can in the grocery store. I'm still mad at that. RIP, my dear cousin.

Back