When things were commonly repaired...

Fyrefox

Token fox furry
I can fondly remember when repair shops were more common for a variety of things. If you had a radio with a bad switch, you brought it in, they'd replace the switch, and you'd have a fully functioning radio again for a fraction of the price of a new one! Today, you're encouraged to either buy into an expensive extended warrantee plan, or throw the item out and buy a new one. "We live in the age of disposable electronics," a store clerk once told me when I asked about getting a tablet's charging port repaired. What repair experiences good or bad have you had?

A waste of time! :)
s-l225.jpg

We bought a Polaroid TV set a few years back and it went bad after a year. Took it to a repair shop and was told hard to get parts for and cost was very high. He said cheaper to buy new one. We junked it
Yup
Way it is now
Still, I tend to tinker
Then....junk it

Actually, if diligent, one can hook up with China connected outlets from aftermarket sources, and actually get parts...sometimes modules.
It's quite inexpensive.
Heh, even China gets innovative.....when there's a market.

I remember doing tube testing a great deal for an old TV. We would pull several small tubes and take them to a hardware store where you would find the fitting they would plug into, then hit the test switch to see if they were passing current.
We've not had a problem with disposable electronics, but we don't purchase anything that we have not researched. A lot of electronics are 'you get what you pay for' kind of thing. I don't expect a $99 TV to work. I expect a $400 TV to run for years.

Yup
Way it is now
Still, I tend to tinker
Then....junk it

Actually, if diligent, one can hook up with China connected outlets from aftermarket sources, and actually get parts...sometimes modules.
It's quite inexpensive.
Heh, even China gets innovative.....when there's a market.
My husband repairs just about everything from cars to watches and everything in between... he often buys parts from Korea... he could junk stuff, but his Mantra is that if he repairs it or builds it from scratch, it will be built properly..and last for ages.. ..and he's not wrong!!

I took some jewelry of mine that had broken to a repair shop and they did a fair job on it. I could wear most of it again, which was the object. I didn't like what they did with some of it and don't wear it any longer. I am surprised how much of my jewelry breaks. Clasps, strings of beads, hinges, stones falling out of settings, etc. Now, most of my jewelry is costume but I wonder if others have this same problem with good jewelry?

The charging port on my small Chromebook laptop broke and I took it to a neighbour that does computer repairs out of his home. He took it apart and resoldered a broken connection to fix it. That took him most of the day because it was very delicate work under a magnifying lens. He charged me $60 which I thought was very reasonable. I'm lucky he was willing to do it because none of the repair outlets would touch it.

I just got a precious clock fixed. It had stopped working, and it had been a birthday gift from my son. I asked the man how much he thought it may have cost. He thought about $300. The cost to fix my clock? $297. It was still money well spent.

I am the type to fix things if they are fixable, but most aren't. Lots of things go in the trash around here. I saw the rocking chair that I bought for my son and daughter-in-law for rocking my first grandchild in the back of my son's truck, ready to be hauled away. I still have my rocking chair that I rocked my babies in. Like the clock, it is priceless. *shaking my head* kids these days....

The charging port on my small Chromebook laptop broke and I took it to a neighbour that does computer repairs out of his home. He took it apart and resoldered a broken connection to fix it. That took him most of the day because it was very delicate work under a magnifying lens. He charged me $60 which I thought was very reasonable. I'm lucky he was willing to do it because none of the repair outlets would touch it.
Re charging ports on tablets laptop ops etc. They have delicate pins which are easily bent or broken it's better to find a short cable connection and leave it connected. Pulling it out and plugging again eventually fails.

Almost anything "electronic" made today is nearly unrepairable, or the costs associated with any repairs would almost buy a new item. Flat screen TV's, tablets, cell phones, and even some laptops, are in that category. Small home appliances are "throw aways" when they fail. Even many major appliances are becoming increasingly hard to fix/find parts for. Anything related to the electronics on today's cars can be a real hassle to figure out unless you have an expensive computer readout device.....or have a local auto part store who will read the code for you, and then want a fortune for the parts to fix it. Heck, just replacing the spark plugs on some of today's car engines can be a real hassle.

My Chromebook would not power up!! Nothing !! I got on my tablet and YouTube, it said it was from static electricity and to remove the back, unplug the battery,hold the on button down for 10 seconds to let the static escape!! Plug the battery back in and good to go!! I thought what have I got to loose, it worked!

Back