When you got kicked out of the house to "go play", what kinds of things did you do with your friends?

I am a child of 50s/60s. When mom wanted to vacuum, we were ordered to "go play". There was none of this play date stuff. You were expected to get your butt out of the house, and don't cause the cops to bring you back. It was totally unsupervised time. Something today's helicopter parents would have a" stroke" over. You were on your own with your friends. What kind of games, scenarios, etc do you come up with to amuse yourself.
For me, one of the things we did was cut down branches, and fashion make believe rockets out of them. Yup, we did the magnifying lens burning of ants. Our bikes were horses, so we played "Westerns". We had a big ol' tree were used to climb, and fall out of. We built a fort out old boards, which , of course, obeyed all the normal building codes.
Looking back.... it's a wonder we made it out alive.:)
I used to gather trash - not because it was the environmentally good thing to do - glass bottles could be returned to stores for deposit fees and the 'cash-back' of the day would buy an ice cream cone! Also, I was paid 2 cents a piece to pick Japanese beetles off of neighbors' rose bushes!

Wasn't very often that mom would put the run on us, nonetheless, the thing I remember most about being a kid, was being called in for lunch, supper, and then for the last time at the end of a full day when it was dark and bedtime. What a PITA it was to stop playing, stop doing, and then stop everything to go in for the night and get ready for bed!

Rain, shine, wind, cold, snow, sleet, it was everything mom could do to get us kids back home. We used to go from morning until night, and nothing was off the table as far as what we entertained ourselves with doing, and our playground was for blocks around (we had the run of the neighbourhood and everyone else's), unlike today where kids are confined to some puny little yard surrounded by a fence.

Back