When you were in school was your first name popular?

Sassycakes

SF VIP
By Popular I mean were there many other kids in your class with the same name. In my class, there were 7 girls named Barbara. If the Nun called out the name 7 girls would stand up. Finally, one Nun was smart enough to
say that since my name was Barbara Ann, I didn't have to stand up unless she added the Ann.

Ruth n Jersey

I was the only one with my first name but my problem was with my last name. It could have also been a girls first name although spelled a little different.
It seems like all the teachers would call on me by my last name and all the other students were called on by their first names.
i always felt like they didn't like me. Of course back then kids didn't question teachers and I don't think I told my mom.
It was years lather that I figured this out although I think the teachers should have realized what they were doing.

Ruthanne

SF VIP
There was usually no one in any of my classes with the name Ruthanne or Ruth which I usually went by instead of Ruthanne.

Murrmurr

The whole time I went to school I never met another kid named Frank. I met several adults named Frank, though, so when I was very young, I wondered why my parents gave me a grown-up person's name. Eventually I figured they did that so I wouldn't have to bother changing it later...as you do. 🤪

About as popular as other boys names, out of a class of 35 there was 2 other "Roberts", though I only can remember 1 right now. When I was in grade school there were two classes for every grade level and there were 2 in the other class as well.

I once worked in a hardware store 4 out of the 6 employees were Roberts, though one went by his middle name. There were times that one of us would have had to spend a long time on the phone with a customer, and would always say, " When you come in, ask for Bob".

hollydolly

SF VIP
In my class there was 3 Arlenes...3 Pamelas...2 Janets...2 Evelyns...2 Annes..3 Lindas..... ( I was in an all girls classs)... no-one of my name in my class except me ( it's not Holly)...and surprisingly no-one in the whole school the same name as me ..( and my real name is not unusual)...

ETA I should have added the whole time I was at school, there was not one other person in the whole school with the same name as me out of over a thousand kids . Hard to believe but true ..it's one of the reasons I hated my name so much because I felt like the only one in the world with it, yet it's a pretty common name

Last edited:

Sassycakes

SF VIP
The whole time I went to school I never met another kid named Frank. I met several adults named Frank, though, so when I was very young, I wondered why my parents gave me a grown-up person's name. Eventually I figured they did that so I wouldn't have to bother changing it later...as you do. 🤪
Frank is my favorite name. My Dad's name was Frank and he was Perfect. Now I have 3 nephews named Frank after my Dad.

SmoothSeas

absolutely - there were 60 kids in my grade, split into two classrooms - there were 7 other girls who shared the same first name.

I was almost named Lydia, after my father's aunt, but apparently it was decided that sounded too old-fashioned, so I got stuck with something else that was currently popular...

Jules

Back in the day folks did not think about how a name would affect their kids.
The names that actors give their kids are often worse now. Apple. Moon. The general population seem to going the same way.

My sister-in-law also had a very traditionally male name. She would end up in the boy‘s list when groups were sorted by gender.

I don’t recall anyone with the same name in my class.