Where do I begin?

Prissie

I have no idea how to begin, except by posting this message.
My cousin, third mate merchant marine, went overboard from Exxon's tanker, the Lexington back on November 23, 1974. No witnesses. Last seen about 20 minutes before he was to report for watch. Reason for death is listed as unknown. His body was recovered two day's later 2-300 yards off Pompano Beach, FL. That's what is on their Report of Personal Injury or Loss of Life. However, they are presuming he jumped overboard due to the possibility of personal reasons that are not know to them. Hmmm. About 20 years later, his brother went missing. Still missing. Could they be related or just coincidence?
I have two depositions and that's it. Where do I even begin? Any advise is welcomed! I promised his sister to find resolution. It's been so long ago.

I am so sorry for your loss. It might be that after 20yrs the brother still couldn't handle his brother's death and maybe chose to run away. It is really heartbreaking for the family.

Private detectives. It will cost but they can interview people who might have known something about him that they never told. I had a relative who disappeared in the summer of 1969. Good luck to you.

My cousin, third mate merchant marine, went overboard from Exxon's tanker, the Lexington back on November 23, 1974. No witnesses. Last seen about 20 minutes before he was to report for watch. Hmmm. About 20 years later, his brother went missing. Still missing. Could they be related or just coincidence?
I have two depositions and that's it. Where do I even begin? Any advise is welcomed! I promised his sister to find resolution. It's been so long ago.

"Depositions" suggest Court related/submitted documents, is that what you mean, or do you simply mean "Affidavit's".

Regardless, concidence, if you wish to use that term, is just that, happenstance, not related to each other, which is most probably the case.

Is it possible to solve, extremely unlikely, even if you had a half a million to hire a top national investigative agency. To continue to try is notable, but my advice is do not let it become obsessive and consume your every day life. Not trying to be blazen in compassion, just a thought.

I once worked with a guy who told us that his father had commited suicide. A time later, when things got hectic at work, he went around asking if anyone had any spare bullets. Putting two and two together, perhaps suicide runs in the family? I don't know.

This suggestion might seem a little "out there" but...there's a social media site called Reddit (https://www.reddit.com) and they have a sub-forum (what they call a sub-reddit) where dozens of Reddit members (Redditors) take missing person cases. Not all of them are professionals and they don't charge a fee, they just have a passion for unraveling missing person mysteries.
Great
My cousin, third mate merchant marine, went overboard from Exxon's tanker, the Lexington back on November 23, 1974. No witnesses. Last seen about 20 minutes before he was to report for watch. Reason for death is listed as unknown. His body was recovered two day's later 2-300 yards off Pompano Beach, FL. That's what is on their Report of Personal Injury or Loss of Life. However, they are presuming he jumped overboard due to the possibility of personal reasons that are not know to them. Hmmm. About 20 years later, his brother went missing. Still missing. Could they be related or just coincidence?
Good idea. Thanks so much!

Private detectives. It will cost but they can interview people who might have known something about him that they never told. I had a relative who disappeared in the summer of 1969. Good luck to you.
Thank you for your input. I hope you get resolution for your missing relative. .

"Depositions" suggest Court related/submitted documents, is that what you mean, or do you simply mean "Affidavit's".

Regardless, concidence, if you wish to use that term, is just that, happenstance, not related to each other, which is most probably the case.

Is it possible to solve, extremely unlikely, even if you had a half a million to hire a top national investigative agency. To continue to try is notable, but my advice is do not let it become obsessive and consume your every day life. Not trying to be blazen in compassion, just a thought.
I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you. And, yes, it’s easy to allow it to consume your every thought. I’m trying to keep a level head. Definitely I know that the odds are against us. But, it will make his sister feel a little better knowing we are trying.

I appreciate all thoughts. And you are probably correct in your thinking. I just need to try and will keep from being consumed. I do know that’s important as well.

Thank you. I hope you find your relative❤️

Back