Who has influenced you the most in your life?

My grand aunt Lottie born in 1903. She walked her talk. She was caring and compassionate.
My friend Tosca born in 1926 who is listed in this thread under strong women. She taught me to never give up.
My friend Aaron, born in 1939, who became a friend at a time when my need was greatest. He understood more than anyone else about the impact my brother's crimes had on me.

Who and how?
Definitely my mom.

My mom was always there for me no matter what. She taught me so much (about quite literally everything) from the time I was really young, until I left home, and continued teaching me things even after I was out on my own.

No one understood me better than my mom, because her and I came from the same mold. She was me, and I was her. She could look at my eyes and she knew if I was doing well, if I was happy or not, or if I had to talk. She could truly read me.

When I lost my mom, the hollow I felt was something I never could have imagined in a thousand years.

My husband. He’s reassures me that I am worthy of love. He helps ground me with his logic and common sense. He supports me while I shift and struggle through various mental disorders. He believes in me no matter what . He makes me laugh and helps me cope. He teaches me by showing me daily what love really is. He’s my ROCK and soul mate. ❤️🙏❤️

Hmm, Mary the mother of JC. The courage she showed as a young woman. A pregnant unmarried woman who risked being stoned to death but still carried her child to term. I figured, at a young age, if she could carry on so could I.

My husband. He’s reassures me that I am worthy of love. He helps ground me with his logic and common sense. He supports me while I shift and struggle through various mental disorders. He believes in me no matter what . He makes me laugh and helps me cope. He teaches me by showing me daily what love really is. He’s my ROCK and soul mate. ❤🙏
Ann Murray - You Needed Me - Sounds like he provides this kind of support.

A woman who was an email pal when we worked at the same company 400 miles apart. Exchanging messages with her and discussing what I was going through and getting her feedback and encouragement was the best thing to happen to me. She gave me the key to unlock a new life which has been absolutely wonderful. I've written about her before in some threads here. I never did meet her in person due to my incredible selfishness and stupidity. This was back in the mid to late 80's.

Nowadays, I would say my son. I know, I know....you are usually influenced the most by some mentor when you are growing up. Well, I am growing old, and my son keeps me informed on what the younger people think and do.... My daughter tells me how the millennial think when I can't understand why younger people act like they do. So both my children keep me in balance with a rapidly changing world.

A woman who was an email pal when we worked at the same company 400 miles apart. Exchanging messages with her and discussing what I was going through and getting her feedback and encouragement was the best thing to happen to me. She gave me the key to unlock a new life which has been absolutely wonderful. I've written about her before in some threads here. I never did meet her in person due to my incredible selfishness and stupidity. This was back in the mid to late 80's.
We all have done selfish things I think. I realize there were a number of people I should have thanked for their support at the time they were giving it. Years later I found the ones I could and did just that. Some were my teachers in high school.

Nowadays, I would say my son. I know, I know....you are usually influenced the most by some mentor when you are growing up. Well, I am growing old, and my son keeps me informed on what the younger people think and do.... My daughter tells me how the millennial think when I can't understand why younger people act like they do. So both my children keep me in balance with a rapidly changing world.
It's good you can ask them these things. Do you do the same with you? Do they ask why older people are who they are?

My mother. She gave me great advice, most of which she unfortunately never followed herself.

I was always in awe of her ability to pick herself up and adapt to whatever happened to her. She had more ups and downs than anyone I've known, but she raised four smart successful kids and died peacefully in her sleep after a long and towards the end, a happy life.

We all have done selfish things I think. I realize there were a number of people I should have thanked for their support at the time they were giving it. Years later I found the ones I could and did just that. Some were my teachers in high school.
In the last 12 months I have tracked down and thanked several people who helped me at various points. One of them was a fellow that I had not seen in 50 years. It was well worth the effort.

Back