Who/what do you turn to for support/explanations in times like these?-the God of your choice, scientists, family, the man in the moon, no one?

Aneeda72

This is meant to be a lively discussion of everyone’s views, believers, non-believers, and those that just don’t care but like everyone else are bored to death. Please observe forum rules, kindergarten rules, and lets try not to kill each other in the process 🤔. I get to go first 😂. All opinions welcome.

I am a believer in the God of my choice. But I believe the virus is a act of nature and not related to God or the devil in any way. Therefore, I don’t pray to God to end the virus or save the world. The world will be fine. I rely on the doctors and scientists to “save” us-humanity, natural selection, and, eventually, the immunity of the herd.

The self reliance of all of us to keep ourselves safe. The pressure of the herd and eventually the law to keep the idiots under control. Humanity will survive, sadly, many individuals will not. I seek the comfort that God gives me, the hope that God offers me, and the knowledge that God provides that it will be alright, that even this shall pass.

I do not ask God that I survive or that I don’t get the virus. I hope my children don’t get it, and that the generations in my family all stay well. But, it’s a virus, not a punishment sent by God or the devil. I seek comfort from God, through God, but nothing else. What about you guys?

A proverbial can of worms....
The term GOD has always created confusion with me.... Took a religions class in high school... Taught by an Atheist,
Had most Christian parents up in arms... I thought it was great because he had no dog in the fight... Learned a lot
My opinion is its not a GOD, but the organized religions that are a problem...
Hell 3 different ones all believe in Abraham but keep killing each other on a daily basis...
Pre destiny and GOD's will.... As a medic I fought this to the point of almost forcing my own meeting with eternity....
I have seen MIRACLES... many..... I have also sat and watched and wondered how could a LOVING GOD allow such things to happen...
I have also seen EVIL... On levels not willing to discuses...
I'm a true believer in the Golden rule....(not the guy with the gold one) and open to accepting anyone for who they are.
Some of the best folks I know, 1st inline to help you out.... Atheist/Agnostic....
Biggest back stabbing lie to your face... Righteously Religious...
I believe there is a power beyond our comprehension that has had an impact over our world...
And it may just be a kids science experiment...

- I try very hard to base my views on evidence - real, objective, testable, verifiable, evidence.
- I say "I don't know" when there is insufficient evidence upon which to base an opinion.
- I will change my views in a heartbeat if new evidence shows them to be wrong.
- Anecdotal "evidence" proves nothing, although it may suggest that something be investigated.
- I reject faith as a source of any knowledge whatsoever.

I also believe religions are a major problem. They seem to sprout up everywhere to meet the needs of the way people believe and not necessarily the “facts” of the Ten Commandments, which I believe are the main, hmm, rules of God.

I do pray, but mostly there is no reason to rely on anyone since something like this is beyond the control of others and myself. I've never been much for platitudes. To me they are just words nervous people say when there really are no answers. So it's pretty much me putting my feelings aside and waiting to see how things turn out.

- I try very hard to base my views on evidence - real, objective, testable, verifiable, evidence.
- I say "I don't know" when there is insufficient evidence upon which to base an opinion.
- I will change my views in a heartbeat if new evidence shows them to be wrong.
- Anecdotal "evidence" proves nothing, although it may suggest that something be investigated.
- I reject faith as a source of any knowledge whatsoever.
[/QUOTE
You reject faith in God or faith in scientific discovery?-or faith in anything until you have evidence? The problem is, as I see it, what is evidence today might not be evidence tomorrow. Take the poor egg which was great to eat, then, not good to eat, then good to eat in moderation, and then great to eat.

Evidence seems to change, and faith or belief steps with freedom of choice. You are free to choose which report/evidence you have faith in/belief in concerning eggs, God, or scientific discovery.

I do pray, but mostly there is no reason to rely on anyone since something like this is beyond the control of others and myself. I've never been much for platitudes. To me they are just words nervous people say when there really are no answers. So it's pretty much me putting my feelings aside and waiting to see how things turn out.
I agree. That’s what most of us are doing with the stay at home order; waiting to see how things turn out. After all, what else can we do? Reminds me of dodge ball which we played in school. It’s basically a game of dodging the virus as we go about our daily lives.

Aneeda -

I take nothing "on faith." Not God, not religion, not science, not politics. Nothing. If you want to convince me of something, show me your evidence.

New discoveries in science are always subjected to intense scrutiny before they are widely accepted. Experiments are repeated by others in order to verify or falsify the original results.

Evidence does change over time because research continues and new things are learned. And as new facts emerge, theories must be adjusted to include whatever has been discovered, or even abandoned completely if shown to be wrong. All conclusions are provisional and subject to change. Theories always include the (usually unspoken) understanding that they explain how things work to the best of our knowledge at the moment.

All through history, there have been plagues, some even worst than this one. It's part of life on Earth. We just have to accept it and get through it as best we can.

About 32 million people have died of AIDS since the 1980s. We think it has been conquered but 770,000 died in 2018.

Malaria killed about 435,000 in 2017. Dysentery, 600,000.

The most shocking thing about COVID 19 is that it is killing people in the US and Europe.

@raybar,
Now I find this very interesting. Could do a whole thread on this-you have faith in nothing? How can that be? Faith is defined as complete trust or confidence in someone or something. I have faith the sun will rise and set. Faith that I will die some day. I have faith in so many things.

How can you claim you have no faith?

About 32 million people have died of AIDS since the 1980s. We think it has been conquered but 770,000 died in 2018.

Malaria killed about 435,000 in 2017. Dysentery, 600,000.

The most shocking thing about COVID 19 is that it is killing people in the US and Europe.
And that is interesting as well, as AIDS is totally avoidable, like many other illnesses, if only we, the human race, would listen. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

The one and only Son of God, Jesus Christ ❤❤❤
Well, I not aware that any other prophet of any other religion claims this title, but I would be open and interested in finding out If this is true. Many religions, however, disagree that JC is the son of God. Since I’m catholic though, I agree.

@raybar,
Now I find this very interesting. Could do a whole thread on this-you have faith in nothing? How can that be? Faith is defined as complete trust or confidence in someone or something. I have faith the sun will rise and set. Faith that I will die some day. I have faith in so many things.

How can you claim you have no faith?

This may boil down to the definitions of words.

I define faith as belief without evidence. Of that, I have none.

Where there is evidence, I have varying degrees of confidence that the conclusions based on that evidence are correct depending on how solid the evidence seems to be.

In your two examples, the sun rising and death, there is plenty of evidence. The sun has risen every day for all people all over the world throughout all of history. And every person who was ever born has died (except those currently living, all of whom were born within the last century or so). So I have confidence, based on the absence of even a single counter-example, that the sun will rise tomorrow and that I will die someday.

The question
Who/what do you turn to for support/explanations in times like these?

Choices

1.God of your choice,

2.scientists,

3.family,

4.the man in the moon,

5.no one?

Who, what & explanations would be #2..

Support would be #3

To literal of a response ?

Well, I not aware that any other prophet of any other religion claims this title, but I would be open and interested in finding out If this is true. Many religions, however, disagree that JC is the son of God. Since I’m catholic though, I agree.
This is the Gospel truth.....I was saved in 2012 and this acceptance has changed my life...I now know I have an eternal home in heaven thanks only to his sacrifice on the cross. Pure love.

This may boil down to the definitions of words.

I define faith as belief without evidence. Of that, I have none.

Where there is evidence, I have varying degrees of confidence that the conclusions based on that evidence are correct depending on how solid the evidence seems to be.

In your two examples, the sun rising and death, there is plenty of evidence. The sun has risen every day for all people all over the world throughout all of history. And every person who was ever born has died (except those currently living, all of whom were born within the last century or so). So I have confidence, based on the absence of even a single counter-example, that the sun will rise tomorrow and that I will die someday.
First, I am not being difficult. I enjoy this conversation and hope you do as well. The fact that the sun through out history has always risen is not, IMO, evidence, scientific evidence that it will always rise. It is an assumption based on the history of the sun’s behavior.

I believe the scientists say the sun is dying. Someday it will not rise.

Lol, I will concede that the bodies of everything in the world die. I also concede that I meant to write this differently and didn’t. Oh, well. I’ll leave that for another time.

The fact that the sun through out history has always risen is not, IMO, evidence, scientific evidence that it will always rise.
The sun does not rise or set. The sun is stationary. It is earth's movements that give this illusion. i.e. It's like saying on a cloudy day "I wish the sun were out." The sun is out. It is always out. It is earth's movements and climate conditions that determine our perception.

This is the Gospel truth.....I was saved in 2012 and this acceptance has changed my life...I now know I have an eternal home in heaven thanks only to his sacrifice on the cross. Pure love.
This is where I differ in my own personal beliefs. Death on the cross was common, Romans killed a great deal of people this way. It was nothing special. Was it a sacrifice for JC to be killed this way? I don’t think so because it’s the way Romans killed people. So where is the sacrifice?

IMO, the sacrifice of JC was in his appearance on earth before he arose to heaven, instead of hurrying on. And his return to earth after he gained heaven. Once I die, if I gain heaven-not coming back. It would be such a great sacrifice to leave heaven. I’m not sure I could do it.

As for the gospel, well, it was written by men, and while I am no bible expert, I believe it was written years after the death of JC, if not decades. I take what I can from the Bible and leave the rest behind.

The sun does not rise or set. The sun is stationary. It is earth's movements that give this illusion. i.e. It's like saying on a cloudy day "I wish the sun were out." The sun is out. It is always out. It is earth's movements and climate conditions that determine our perception.
Aww, you ruined it. 😂

The question
Who/what do you turn to for support/explanations in times like these?

Choices

1.God of your choice,

2.scientists,

3.family,

4.the man in the moon,

5.no one?

Who, what & explanations would be #2..

Support would be #3

To literal of a response ?
Nope

Back