Who wore saddle oxfords in high school

My older sister wore saddle oxfords in high school. I remember her polishing them with the white liquid shoe polish. Later on, a "powder" shoe polish was in vogue, if I recall correctly.

Not in high school, but all through elementary school because they were sturdy and lasted a long time. I remember having to polish them. The big choice was between the white, the black and white, and the suede with the little flap.

Who wore saddle oxfords in high school?​

My school had a very strict regime about the school uniform, they probably had a vested interest too, it was only sold through one outlet. Saddle shoes? Far too outlandish! Shoes, like any other accoutrement, are an enhancement to the attire worn. I love shoes.

Here's my saddle shoes, along with one of my spectators, my handy buff & shine and would you believe? My vintage shoe suitcase.

shoes 24.jpg2tone.jpgshoes 007.jpgshoes 008.jpgshoe collection 1.jpg

Platforms were all the rage when I was at school. but we were limited to wearing Black or brown to match our school uniform...

I remember having so many different styles.. and these exact ones...

index.jpg

Somehow it got around my school everyone was going to wear saddle oxfords. I talked my dad into buying a pair at Mr Hensley's Shoe Store. It was then my dad remarked to Mr. Hensley that my feet were as flat as goose. I took it as an adult to adult inside joke at my expense. I didn't wear the brown/black saddle oxfords as much as I wanted them.

Mowed grass around the neighborhood while in 8th grade to get a pair of 'Bass Weejuns' loafers!
Thought they made me look COOL, like the guys in High School and the college kids I knew.

They are still available and I might just get another pair.
( looking at the Larson Weejuns Burgundy ones )

Who wore saddle oxfords in high school?​

My school had a very strict regime about the school uniform, they probably had a vested interest too, it was only sold through one outlet. Saddle shoes? Far too outlandish! Shoes, like any other accoutrement, are an enhancement to the attire worn. I love shoes.

Here's my saddle shoes, along with one of my spectators, my handy buff & shine and would you believe? My vintage shoe suitcase.

View attachment 172452View attachment 172453View attachment 172454View attachment 172455View attachment 172456
Love...love your shoes and kit. After wearing uniforms and black oxfords to match in the convent for eight years, my mother presented me with a pair of saddle shoes which I loved so much, I took them to bed with me...in case of thieves and all.

Back