Who's heard of ASMR

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
It stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Wiki defines ASMR as:

"An experience characterized by a static-like or tingling sensation on the skin that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. It has been compared with auditory-tactile synesthesia[2][3] and may overlap with frisson. ASMR signifies the subjective experience of "low-grade euphoria" characterized by "a combination of positive feelings and a distinct static-like tingling sensation on the skin". It is most commonly triggered by specific auditory or visual stimuli, and less commonly by intentional attention control.[1][4]"

The Wikipedia article goes on to state:
"Stimuli that can trigger ASMR, as reported by those who experience it, include the following:
  • Listening to a softly spoken or whispering voice
  • Listening to quiet, repetitive sounds resulting from someone engaging in a mundane task such as turning the pages of a book
  • Watching somebody attentively execute a mundane task such as preparing food
  • Loudly chewing, crunching, slurping or biting foods, drinks, or gum
  • Receiving personal attention
  • Initiating the stimulus through conscious manipulation without the need for external video or audio triggers
  • Listening to tapping, typically nails onto surfaces such as plastic, wood, metal, etc.
  • Hand movements, especially onto one's face"
ASMR videos have exploded on the net and in mainstream social media. It's become hugely popular to both listen to/watch the videos for relaxation, and also to make them. There is some argument that they trigger a sexual response, and have been referred to as Brain Orgasms.

"Early proponents of ASMR concluded that the phenomenon was generally unrelated to sexual arousal, and Jennifer Allen proposed that the phenomenon be named "autonomous sensory meridian response". Allen chose the words intending or assuming them to have the following specific meanings:

• Autonomous – spontaneous, self-governing, with or without control
  • Sensory – pertaining to the senses or sensation
  • Meridian – signifying a peak, climax, or point of highest development
  • Response – referring to an experience triggered by something external or internal"
It's kind of weird to me, and yet I know I've experienced those moments when some otherwise completely ordinary thing has captured my attention and I've become completely focused on it, almost fixated. But not in a bad way...just completely relaxed and logy. I dunno. Weird, and yet I'm drawn to some of this, too.

Here is a video...one of tens of thousands on youtube. Just search and you'll see what I mean. It's CRAZY!!!!

Here's another one. This isn't noises, this is hand motions. Over 800,000 subscribers!

Last edited:
I could never remember what AMSR stands for but yes, I an somewhat familiar

I gave this to my grandson at Christmas.

c02d544f-058b-4a6f-a865-5b2ceaf74d9f_1.3ad887cd68180465d3527a467ef278f9.jpeg

Back