Why Can't Some People Cook?

fmdog44

Granted some people are always better at some things than others but claiming "I don't know how to cook" is downright silly. If there was this recipe could everyone follow it? Chuck roast: 1. Preheat oven to 350. 2. Bake for 60 minutes. Salmon: Preheat oven to 425. Place filet skin side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes per inch of thickness. There! You are now a cook. People seem to be able to follow directions on every item except food.

Some people refuse to try to cook.
I once had a friend who never wanted to learn to cook because her mother was a great cook and she knew she would never be as good as her.
She was a real feminist, too. Maybe she thought it was a too domestic skill. She never learned how.

I have liked to cook & grille since I was upright. I like to experiment. Grilling is the easiest because you can watch the food cook and poke it to see if it is ready. Veggies on the coals is simply the best way in terms of taste.

I use to bake every weekend....Mostly home cakes & pies....Kids came for dinner every Sunday....Of course I would make Lasagna, baked ziti, spaghetti or any other Italian dish..
But on Holiday's I made turkey, or a roast.....
Everything changes when you get older....My daughter in law will have Sunday Dinner by her house....
In the summer they come to my backyard,, we have a pool....So we would have Barbeque outside...

I always liked to cook and bake and did it at a young age as mother worked. Remember bringing a scrapbook full of recipes to show and tell in grade school.

I am not a fancy gourmet cook but I think I pass as a good everyday cook with a touch of flair.

Since eating is a basic need, I find that baffling as well. My cooking skills are pretty basic, but I do ok. Would I pass muster with Gordon Ramsay? No. But I go ok.
Now baking is another thing. Try as I might, I have never been a successful baker. So I gave up.

Never bothered to cook at all till I got sick. Turn on the oven open the box put it into the over. Set timer. That was my style of eating.
After the heart problems, I started to read what was in a lot of that stuff. THAT stuff scared me. When I started cooking it took a huge amount of time and a strong stomach. Now I do ok, very little boxed stuff comes in here.
If I can learn to do it, anyone can.

I've found that many recipes don't come out right or don't include ingredients in the proper amounts. My mother was a great cook and I never saw her use a recipe book. Although I hate to cook, I'm a good one when I do it. I've had too many recipes not come out right so I don't bother with them.

I love to cook and bake.
These days I think people get out of the habit and just order out or actually go out to eat because both work and its easier and there is so much prepared food in the supermarket these days.
I have clipped so many recipes I'll never get through them. I read recipes like a good novel.
Some people don't even have a recipe box, book or cookbooks for that matter. I just don't think the interest is there.

I like to eat, so I like to cook. Every meal out, every processed food bought..........I think to myself, "I can make that better." My parents both worked and my mother had me getting supper started before I was a teenager. It is just something I always seemed to know how to do. One advantage of cooking for yourself is you can cook one meal and have leftovers for a few days. My father always made our breakfast and later on when my mother was bedridden, he did all the cooking. My brother is married but still cooks. I taught my son how to cook early on.

It is a skill that improves the more you do it. So now that I am cooking for just me, I am a much better cook than ever before.

Growing up around grand and great grands that were always cooking/ baking...... My mother could burn water....
Picked up Dutch Oven Cooking and camp cooking in Boy Scouts...
50 years later we still regularly Camp and DO cook.... attend Dutch Oven Gatherings... (Well Did)
Grill Smoke Bake and do half the meals at home.... ( biggest issue with my isolation is not cooking)
Even cook for the Crew at work at times....
And no.... I'm not the better cook by far..

And forgot to mention our new toy... Instant Pot

Why Can't Some People Cook?

They haven't got a cooker.

Back