Why is ________ the answer to life's meaning for you?

Why did you choose the General Discussion forum - "General everyday light-hearted discussions" over the Current News and Hot Topics threads - "Current events, social issues and news. No politics please!"

Petty question, I know.

Why did you choose the General Discussion forum - "General everyday light-hearted discussions" over the Current News and Hot Topics threads - "Current events, social issues and news. No politics please!"

Petty question, I know.
as I said. I only recently realised we could start Christian themed threads. So where should it go? Personally I don't care where it goes. As long as I don't have to have it on my diary thread.
Possibly you are being unfair? I don't know . But we have had serious topics on this subforum before but no one complained then.

hypochondriac....I think your parents were just warm, loving people...nothing to do with being Christians.
The truth is that people use Christianity in different ways. For many, Jesus is a prop...the friend they can depend on. They don't put his teaching into practise. Those people are not true Christians. I'm sure we all know people who regard themselves as good Christians simply because they attend church every week. They think that is enough.

Your title presupposes that Christianity is indeed the answer to life's meaning for all on SF. The arrogance of your subject line, "Why is Christianity the answer to life's meaning for you?" is what turns many off about Christians.

There are undoubtedly hundreds of Christian forums on the web - your topic would be more appropriately posed on one of them. SeniorForums has active members of various faiths, not all of whom welcome proselytizing.

Your title presupposes that Christianity is indeed the answer to life's meaning for all on SF. That arrogance of your subject line, "Why is Christianity the answer to life's meaning for you?" is what turns many off about Christians.

There are undoubtedly hundreds of Christian forums on the web - your topic would be more appropriately posed on one of them. SeniorForums has active members of various faiths, not all of whom welcome proselytizing.
Perhaps we need a section entitled..'For Christians only'.....but then what is a Christian?

hypochondriac....I think your parents were just warm, loving people...nothing to do with being Christians.
The truth is that people use Christianity in different ways. For many, Jesus is a prop...the friend they can depend on. They don't put his teaching into practise. Those people are not true Christians. I'm sure we all know people who regard themselves as good Christians simply because they attend church every week. They think that is enough.
That is your opinion Rosemarie and I can see why you might say it. I might have said something similar before I became Christian again. And there are surely loving parents who are non Christian. of course. Im not that close minded or stupid.
But from my study and reading and possibly "grace" (which some of you think it is baloney perhaps,) that God is the source of all love on earth. So any love that parents (Christian or non Christian) have, comes from God. Humans don't create their own love.
And hey rose, I attend Church every week and Im no hypo crite. I ma hypo chondriac! :)

I’d love a discussion in this thread I’m a Christian recently brought back to the faith and it saved my life! We would need to have one of the moderators let us know what is allowed thanks hypo for bringing this to the forefront!!

I’d love a discussion in this thread I’m a Christian recently brought back to the faith and it saved my life! We would need to have one of the moderators let us know what is allowed thanks hypo for bringing this to the forefront!!
well its already bringing over reactions as I predicted. maybe it will settle down gradually.

Yes, I see what you're getting at. However, there are other faiths which teach love and compassion, not just Christianity. So you think love comes from 'God', whether you are Christian or not? If there is a 'God', then he is God of everyone, not just Christians.

Or Religious Discussion Only. There are Jews, Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics, and I don't know what-all else participating on this forum.
Religious discussion is very similar, if not the same, as Political discussion. Why not something like Philosophy with a subtitle of Personal?

Probably not. If this turns into a religious forum I'll likely find myself spending less and less time here.
I have no intention personally of turning this forum into a Christian one. For one thing it gets boring talking about Christianity all the time. But I feel a need to express myself, discuss more than debate a few Christian related topics. There seems to be maybe 3 or 4 of us at most? I don't know. Not much of a political force to be honest. out of about 50 members on here so far.
For now there seems some objection to having it on General Discussions. Fair enough. lets work on one problem at a time.

but I digress.....
back to the question..
I tried Buddhism for a while. the meditation is excellent. (lived in Japan for a number of years)it really can calm your mind. I had trouble with some of the tenets like reincarnation. Buddhism is probably my second fave religion because it can help those of us who suffer stress and anxiety.
I of course have a lot of respect for the Jewish religion. They have trouble with the messiah concept. Its a shame really. I need to read up more on that. Culturally it would be weird for me to suddenly embrace Islam though I do respect their prayer life. They are very diligent .
The more I study Christianity I realise there is so much more to learn. So much depth. So many interpretations of scripture but I like that. makes it more interesting. Recently I have been looking at how we see God. Do we see Him as a petty tyrant? seeking payback for our naughty sins? or do we see Him as someone who wants only the best for us. This topic is crucial to our faith. because if we see God as a mainly vengeful punishing God, we will have truly strange faith that is not helping anyone including ourselves. We will be a witness of fear and retribution and that is the devil's domain. God for me represents self-acceptance, vulnerability and being authentic no matter what the cost.

Last edited:

Back