Will I need someone to do my taxes this year?

Colleen

I've always done our taxes using Tax Act online because we've always had a straightforward return. No investments, etc., just savings accounts, pensions and SS.

But, I'm wondering how will this change (or not) this year since my husband passed away in October and I won't be getting his pension, only his SS. Will I need someone to help me this year???

I've always done our taxes using Tax Act online because we've always had a straightforward return. No investments, etc., just savings accounts, pensions and SS.

But, I'm wondering how will this change (or not) this year since my husband passed away in October and I won't be getting his pension, only his SS. Will I need someone to help me this year???
You will still file joint this year because you have 10 months of SS earnings of David + yours to report, plus his pension earnings for 10 months to report. You may still use tax act, if you keep last years records, everything remains the same except the two months. Confirm with Call to IRS.

You will still file joint this year because you have 10 months of SS earnings of David + yours to report, plus his pension earnings for 10 months to report. You may still use tax act, if you keep last years records, everything remains the same except the two months. Confirm with Call to IRS.
Thanks, Sparty. So many changes lately but I'm finally getting to the end...I think :)

Thanks, Sparty. So many changes lately but I'm finally getting to the end...I think :)
Colleen, have you completed all of your beneficiary changes. Your estate attorney could guide you in the right legal terminology. My changes are taking longer, because I have a trust. You also want to take care of yourself, trying to monitor your calorie intake.

Yes, that is how I remember doing it when my husband died ... and calling the IRS will clear things up.

It's starting in January 2024 that you will be accounting for only yourself.

We ‘always get a tax accountant to do ours. They get us far more money. We have a few years to do to catch up.

Honestly I don’t know anything about doing taxes. I’ve never done my own taxes in my life.

If you have always done your taxes before, obviously you're capable. You will have to do a return for your husband. Check out FAQs or search your question(s) on the IRS website, if you are unsure of how to proceed. I've been using H & R Block Tax Cut for years. They ask the questions needed to prepare my return and have pop ups (on demand) should you have a question about any item. I never used Tax Act, so don't know if they offer the same feature.

If you have always done your taxes before, obviously you're capable. You will have to do a return for your husband. Check out FAQs or search your question(s) on the IRS website, if you are unsure of how to proceed. I've been using H & R Block Tax Cut for years. They ask the questions needed to prepare my return and have pop ups (on demand) should you have a question about any item. I never used Tax Act, so don't know if they offer the same feature.
Yes, they do :) Guess I'll just file jointly as usual and next year will be different.

I have a CPA now. It helps because I have questions about stuff that my husband handled. It was just one thing that I didn't have the bandwidth to handle. But if you are comfortable doing it yourself, good. I know many people like TurboTax.

Back