Will you receive a refund or pay additional taxes for 2017?

Surprisingly, we got a modest Fed refund for 2017 despite having a rise in taxable income. State was owed a small amount; CA does not like to over-withhold and will not do so even if you request it.

I started my SocSec check in March so needed to see the tax adviser later than we usually do, so he could give us an estimate of whether we are withholding enough for the 2018 tax year, since there are now 5 tax brackets instead of only 3. Very relieved to find we are okay for 2018 as well.

Years ago, my mom filed and received a modest refund.

She cashed the check (thankfully making a copy of it first) and went on with life. Several months later, she gets a notice from the IRS that she hadn't filed her taxes and was going to be penalized.

She called them and said that not only had she filed in a timely manner, but she had received a refund check and read off the check into to them. Nope, you.didn't.file! We have no record of you filing. Well, what the hell was that check for, then? "We'll get back in touch with you". She never heard from them again.

About 40 years ago, I received a refund check which I promptly cashed. Then about a week later, I received another refund check. I called the IRS. Of course, they knew nothing about it. Well, shall I mail it back? No, don't mail anything until you are instructed by letter. A month passes, two months, three months, no letter. I call again...same song and dance. Every month for the next year I called. "Wait til you hear from us" Finally, I sent the check back registered mail. Guess what?.....I never heard from them.

Back