Winter Art

iu

The Sea of Ice by Caspar David Friedrich (1824)

p01nst7p.webp

German painting’s great romantic, Friedrich here depicts the shipwreck of the HMS Griper, a British vessel on an expedition to the North Pole. The iceberg totally dwarfs the ship; it is a gravestone as much as an obstacle. As so often in Friedrich’s art, nature here is at once sublimely beautiful and totally indifferent to human life.

The Sea of Ice by Caspar David Friedrich (1824)

p01nst7p.webp

German painting’s great romantic, Friedrich here depicts the shipwreck of the HMS Griper, a British vessel on an expedition to the North Pole. The iceberg totally dwarfs the ship; it is a gravestone as much as an obstacle. As so often in Friedrich’s art, nature here is at once sublimely beautiful and totally indifferent to human life.
This strikes me as fabulous!

YellowSnow.jpg

Edit:

The one question being begged to be asked is this:

This guy lives in Minnesota, and Minnesota historically gets snow in the winter. Since it is that time of year, is this poster the "artist"?

The answer is that while I would be proud to claim this as my art (the guy has no shame!!!), sadly, it isn't. There is no snow on the ground here, so attempting to write such a profound message to the world in the snow would be pointless. Of course, with enough to drink, who wouldn't give it the old college try, ignoring such obvious facts?

Tony

Last edited:

Back