• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day - Antediluvian

Glowworm

Antediluvian: of or pertaining to the period before the Great Flood described in the Bible.

Also meaning very old or ancient.

Someone who believes that women should not have the right to vote or hold public office has an antediluvian view of society

I would use the word "antediluvian" more often if it was easier to pronounce.

My parents were antediluvian in their opinions of women. They offered both of my brothers a college education, but not me and my sisters because "you are just going to get married and have children." When I finally got to college in my 40's, other women my age were in my classes. Many of them had had the same experience with their parents. But we all finally got our degrees. 🥰

I would use the word "antediluvian" more often if it was easier to pronounce.

My parents were antediluvian in their opinions of women. They offered both of my brothers a college education, but not me and my sisters because "you are just going to get married and have children." When I finally got to college in my 40's, other women my age were in my classes. Many of them had had the same experience with their parents. But we all finally got our degrees. 🥰
My wife was raised with a similar attitude, though none in her family went to college. She really wanted to get her degree, so I worked while she went to college and finished - the first person in her family to do so. That is a staple of our marriage. If one of us really wants to accomplish something, we both work to get that done.

Edit: As for the OP's subject, the antidote to the Antediluvian period - learn to swim. :ROFLMAO:

Tony

My wife was raised with a similar attitude, though none in her family went to college. She really wanted to get her degree, so I worked while she went to college and finished - the first person in her family to do so. That is a staple of our marriage. If one of us really wants to accomplish something, we both work to get that done.

Edit: As for the OP's subject, the antidote to the Antediluvian period - learn to swim. :ROFLMAO:

Tony
The Antediluvian period was before the flood so knowledge of swimming wasn’t necessary until the Diluvian and Postdiluvian periods 🤣

The Antediluvian period was before the flood so knowledge of swimming wasn’t necessary until the Diluvian and Postdiluvian periods 🤣
Good point. When I first moved to Minnesota, I was amazed with the number of folks I met who never learned to swim. That made sense as I thought about it - there are lakes here, but no ocean. Smaller lakes (not the Great Lakes) are more family-friendly in my opinion, and one doesn't need to swim to enjoy the water. So, need to know makes sense.

Tony

Some cultures in the Middle East are still antediluvian in their attitude to the way women dress.
Get real setwave...I repeat some countries are still antediluvian in their dress for women and also the way they treat women!!!!

Back