• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Antimacassar

Antimacassars graced the backs of all of the armchairs and couches in my grandmothers home.

Protect your fine furniture from Rowlands Macassar oil by using antimacassars in the parlor.
fmt-Macassar-Oil-lifestyle_1.jpg

When I volunteered at a local thrift store, people donated some beautiful antimacassars that we sold at a cheap price. I bought some beautiful handmade antimacassars there for $2.00 each.

(That's a great word, @Capt Lightning!)

Antimacassars graced every horizontal surface in my grandmother's house. If the surface wasn't fabric, then it was covered by a doily or a dresser scarf. God forbid there was a surface uncovered.

Of course, they all had to be occasionally taken up and washed, bleached, starched into submission and ironed before putting back.

When I was very young my grandparents on my father's side had many, many antimacassars on their furniture--on the arms and on the tops of the backs of chairs and couch. I have always remembered what those pretty doilies looked like.

Back