• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day - Dote

Dote and dotage are entirely different words...... as is antidote....no connection
I never ever heard of dote being used in reference to senility.

I have heard of some old people being referred to as a 'a bit dotty' ... unkind slang of course

Perhaps not in Canada, Mizmo, but I can assure you of their usage in UK English.
It is an archaic word, but it was still in common usage in my youth.

You can find this from many sources - Merriam Webster dictionary for one..

Dote:
to exhibit mental decline
of or like that of old age : be in one's dotage (probably from old Dutch doten - be foolish)

to be lavish or excessive in one's attention, fondness, or affection —usually used with on

Like other words, the meaning depends on the context

Not according to Encyclopedia Britannica....
dote /ˈdoʊt/ verb
dotes; doted; doting
Britannica Dictionary definition of DOTE

dote on/upon​

[phrasal verb]
dote on/upon (someone or something)
: to give a lot of love or attention to (someone or something)

No mention of senility

yes dote is very archaic word ..even has some German roots too..
and this .....
The verb dote , meaning to decay or rot, especially of wood, is in general dialect use in England, and, according to the English Dialect Dictionary, in Ireland and in the US. Hence doted and doty : decayed, mouldy, rotten. According to Kersey in 1702, a doting tree is one that is almost worn out with age. ( check your trees out for dote:D)

I am Scottish by birth and lived there for 25 years before coming to Canada.
Never once heard that word used in reference to a senile person, It was always used in a loving way.

As I said in previous post we would, as youngsters make reference to older people..as 'dotty' ( and some young people)
or say in their dotage as we got older.

Just my tuppence worth

I in return would refer you to the Oxford English dictionary that lists 'Dote' in the sense of being 'feeble minded' and 'dotage' as being n that condition. Being of Scottish origin myself, I recall my mother's Glaswegian family often using the words. Someone speaking nonsense would often be said to be 'doting' or in their 'dotage' . They would also use 'doting' is the sense of affection. It just depends on the context.

I think the whole question was on the word DOTE being used to indicate senility so let's leave it at that.

I still would wish for Paul Newman to DOTE on me:love:

Back