• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Glockenspiel

Ruthanne

SF VIP
The glockenspiel (German pronunciation: [ˈɡlɔkənˌʃpiːl] or [ˈɡlɔkŋ̍ˌʃpiːl], Glocken: bells and Spiel: Play) is a percussion instrument composed of a set of tuned keys arranged in the fashion of the keyboard of a piano. ... In music scores the glockenspiel is sometimes designated by the Italian term campanelli.

The glockenspiel.... uses mallets, like a xylophone, but has metal keys, instead of the wooden ones that the xylophone's have.

Either one is wonderful, in my opinion, unless a person is closed in a small room, with it, and either a toddler or a new music student, for too many hours. ;):LOL:

I will add the glockenspiel to my list of "musical instruments I can't play".
I hear you. I can't play anything. I have a folk guitar and cds to teach me how to play somewhat--I started trying to learn when I got them but gave up after I had a hard time tuning it. It sits up against the wall in the hallway. I look at it every day thinking one day I'll try again.

I hear you. I can't play anything. I have a folk guitar and cds to teach me how to play somewhat--I started trying to learn when I got them but gave up after I had a hard time tuning it. It sits up against the wall in the hallway. I look at it every day thinking one day I'll try again.

My mother was gifted with a musical ear. She could hear a song on the radio and sit down and play it. Being a child of the Depression, there wasn't any money for lessons, let alone an instrument.

She was determined to give me the opportunity she'd never had. At six, I started piano. I hated it - absolutely hated it.

At age eight, the teacher took my mother aside an said, "I can continue to try and teach your child. I can continue to take your money. But sorry to say, Mrs but your child is tone-death.'

Mother asked if I wanted to continue to try. I said not. That ended the music lessons.

No eye, either. Can't draw worth squat, But I was gifted with a way with words and for that I'm thankful.

My mother was gifted with a musical ear. She could hear a song on the radio and sit down and play it. Being a child of the Depression, there wasn't any money for lessons, let alone an instrument.

She was determined to give me the opportunity she'd never had. At six, I started piano. I hated it - absolutely hated it.

At age eight, the teacher took my mother aside an said, "I can continue to try and teach your child. I can continue to take your money. But sorry to say, Mrs but your child is tone-death.'

Mother asked if I wanted to continue to try. I said not. That ended the music lessons.

No eye, either. Can't draw worth squat, But I was gifted with a way with words and for that I'm thankful.
That's cool you see that!😊

Back