• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Kerfuffle

Em in Ohio

Cheat Sheet & History: This funny word is a noun.
Definition: a commotion, controversy, fuss, disturbance, scandal, or mess.
"The root of 'kerfuffle' is the very old Scots verb 'fuffle,' which first appeared in print in the early 16th century and means to throw into disorder. The Oxford English Dictionary suggests that the 'ker' part of 'kerfuffle' may have come from the Gaelic word 'car,' meaning to twist, bend or turn around." (per Google search)

After this thread was past it's day in the sun, :D
I read, in the thread about Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream flavors, that there is one called:
Truffle Kerfuffle! :love:

I loved the sound of the name, and appreciated it, all the more, having had this thread, a few days prior!
There are Unexpected benefits of this Word Game!;)

We will especially notice the word, the next time we see or hear it in use!:giggle:

After this thread was past it's day in the sun, :D
I read, in the thread about Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream flavors, that there is one called:
Truffle Kerfuffle! :love:

I loved the sound of the name, and appreciated it, all the more, having had this thread, a few days prior!
There are Unexpected benefits of this Word Game!;)

We will especially notice the word, the next time we see or hear it in use!:giggle:
I had never heard the word myself! I do word searches to find words that can be interpreted different ways and not provoke inappropriate comments, haha! I just loved this word!

That's a great way to choose the words, @Em in Ohio :)
I had wondered, how you were choosing.:unsure:

Plus, that's Very daring for you to choose one that you had no familiarity with! :D(y):ROFLMAO::sneaky:

Then, you (and we) get to learn, and to see the various ways that people would use it.:geek:

Kerfuffle is an interesting one, as the connotation doesn't usually refer to any serious or terrible interruption, or to a disturbance with truly lasting or negative results,
though one could differ on what is or is not a serious consequence,:rolleyes:;)
and sometimes a kerfulffle could surely harm some relationships, or have a valid upset occur..

I myself would usually use it, with at least partial humor or lightness involved.

To me, the word is nearly an onomatopoeia, too :giggle:
because you can almost hear the ruffling of feathers , from something unexpected that has occurred. :LOL:

That's a great way to choose the words, @Em in Ohio :)
I had wondered, how you were choosing.:unsure:

Plus, that's Very daring for you to choose one that you had no familiarity with! :D(y):ROFLMAO::sneaky:

Then, you (and we) get to learn, and to see the various ways that people would use it.:geek:

Kerfuffle is an interesting one, as the connotation doesn't usually refer to any serious or terrible interruption, or to a disturbance with truly lasting or negative results,
though one could differ on what is or is not a serious consequence,:rolleyes:;)
and sometimes a kerfulffle could surely harm some relationships, or have a valid upset occur..

I myself would usually use it, with at least partial humor or lightness involved.

To me, the word is nearly an onomatopoeia, too :giggle:
because you can almost hear the ruffling of feathers , from something unexpected that has occurred. :LOL:
Have I told you how much I enjoy your posts? Well, I enjoy them a whole lot!

Back