• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Prolific

Kaila

SF VIP
Producing many or much, or large quantity; term which can be applied to many fields, from plants, to sports teams, to artists....and more, this word has many possible applications!

Some of the world's great painters were very prolific, leaving for us, countless numbers of their wonderful art pieces in their own styles;

Writers do not seem to be quite as prolific; my guess being that it takes more time to write a marvelous book, than to complete a great painting, in general? :unsure:

People who live in houses close to Heathrow airport have to endure prolific planes flying overhead

st-20161029-jefield29fhhi-2700826.jpg

For enduring the number of extremely close fly-byes, the people who live in those homes,
should be given a prolific number of unlimited free tickets to fly as often as they wish;

after all, it isn't much out of the way , for the airline to pick them up!

(Okay, kidding on the last part, but I seriously believe the rest of this post!)

Something that has often impressed and amazed me ...
is the prolific number of seeds produced from one individual, single plant.
For example, one maple tree, or one lilac shrub, or even one single annual flowering plant, such as a zinnia, produces a prolific number of viable seeds, for future plants.

In addition, adding to my astonishment and wonder, is my observation, that even one individual flower or blossom, on many plants, produces a prolific number of seeds.

Nature goes to such extremes to attempt to continue a species.
If you aren't certain you believe this, then stop and examine one dandelion flower, going to seed, the next time you walk by one!

Last edited:

Back