• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Think

rcleary171

Here's a word I normally don't give much thought. The phrase "I think therefore I am" comes to mind and I also recall the company slogan THINK that IBM subjected its employees to daily (imagine the pressure!). The word comes from the Old English word thencan. Along with "thought" this word pair appears to share the German root gathanghkt. (Say that loudly and I'm sure you will receive some well meaning gesundheits). It is reported that the brain consumes about 300 calories a day. So, keep thinking and burn those excess carbs.

Last edited:
Here was a great thinker in his day. All he needed was a little confidence.

What a goof ball I am! The Tin Man needed a heart - not a brain. Looks like I need a new brain too.

Scare Crow.jpg

Tin Man.jpg

Last edited:
Here was, still is, and will always be a great thinker.

The Thinker, by Auguste Rodin

800px-Le_Penseur_in_the_Jardin_du_Mus%C3%A9e_Rodin%2C_Paris_14_June_2015.jpg

What you think about, you become.
It is also true that we tend to become like the people we hang out with, which is why the saying "stick with the winners" has a ring of truth. How we each define "winners" will be different, but we know who such people are for us. The times when I have done that, my life seems to have turned for the better, so I do believe this. In short, we influence each other, so pick and choose who you wish to be influenced by.

What we don't want to do is hang out with the Thinker so we don't turn to stone sitting on a toilet. o_O

Tony

It is also true that we tend to become like the people we hang out with, which is why the saying "stick with the winners" has a ring of truth. How we each define "winners" will be different, but we know who such people are for us. The times when I have done that, my life seems to have turned for the better, so I do believe this. In short, we influence each other, so pick and choose who you wish to be influenced by.

What we don't want to do is hang out with the Thinker so we don't turn to stone sitting on a toilet. o_O

Tony
Similar to ‘like attracts like.’ Another reason I prefer to be alone.

Here is a philosophical question for all of us to THINK (reference to thread title...) about:

If we each became aware of how much impact/influence our words and actions had on other people, what would we do differently?

Tony

Well, not quite. We might want to hang around with different folks than we have been because we want to go in a different direction. When my younger brother decided to get out of the old neighborhood and get into law, he sought people who were doing that. Over time, he developed into what he wanted to become. I doubt he would have done that, had he stuck with the old crowd. So in a sense, he became a different person so that "like attracts like", attracted a different group of people.

As I became interested in engineering, I began to seek out people who were involved in that and learned from them what I needed to, to become more like them and eventually achieve my goal. In that case, my "like attracts like" changed completely.

Tony

Back