• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: vicarious

Em in Ohio....it seems as though America and Britain have different meanings for certain words. According to my Odhams Dictionary 'vicarious' means a substitute.

The young doctor was acting vicariously, while his superior was away on vacation.

Em in Ohio....it seems as though America and Britain have different meanings for certain words. According to my Odhams Dictionary 'vicarious' means a substitute.

The young doctor was acting vicariously, while his superior was away on vacation.
That's precisely why the site management wanted to promote this activity - because we are an international crowd, often with our own interpretations of words. Thanks so much for pointing this out!

When people watch movies, if they become absorbed,
they likely have the vicarious feelings of being one of the lead characters,
as if they themselves, the viewers , are having those experiences, first-hand, that not even the actors are truly having.

Seems very similar , if not the same, to me as well, @RadishRose and @Em in Ohio

where the feeling from actual actions, are substituted by feelings of identifying with others who are the ones who truly carry out those actions, and by imagining themselves in their place.

Unless the U.K. common usage often has a different leaning connotation,

OR, in that example above,
Was that young doctor performing the same tasks and doing the actions of the superior doctor,?
and not simply, feeling like he's the supervisor, perhaps including the supervisor's attitude or tone???

Sorry, I let this thread get off-track. (But the dictionary in question is a hardbound version.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a perfect example of vicarious living?

The most rated comment on this video is "I have no clue why I'm watching these video's... I can barely pay rent let alone afford any kind of flight/vacation."

Definitely a vicarious experience for me that is beyond the realm of possibility.

This comes to mind:

opulent
ostentatiously rich and luxurious or lavish.
"the opulent comfort of a limousine"

Vicarious liability, is a very interesting concept.
Also known as "Imputed" liability. Similar to the "Master - Servant"
doctrine in employment law, "Respondeat Superior". The master is responsible for the actions of his employee (case law varies).

Would legal vicarious or imputed liability,
be strictly if one employs or pays another to do their dirty work?

Or is it also applied to someone who has other types of influence over, or possible responsibility for another's actions,
And, would it ever also be applied to simply knowing about someone else's plan or action, and not trying actively to thwart it?

Would legal vicarious or imputed liability,
be strictly if one employs or pays another to do their dirty work?

Or is it also applied to someone who has other types of influence over, or possible responsibility for another's actions,
And, would it ever also be applied to simply knowing about someone else's plan or action, and not trying actively to thwart it?

Exact details matter, but here is an example of an OSC case concerning "Intentional Torts" committed by an employee and imputed to the employer.

https://casetext.com/case/blankenship-v-cincinnati-milacron-chemicals

Back