Work Program for people over 55 years old.

This topic hits home to me. I was 57 yrs of age when I my husband passed on. I wasn't working, so after the death, I needed a job quick. A job that pays a liveable income. Not a Wal-mart or McDonald's job. I checked out some of the sites that offer jobs to seniors over 50 and over 55. WELL! It's great IF you are a retired Accountant, retired teacher, or retired professional. But IF your a common person looking for a job, then there is certainly an age discrimination going on. Any HR person around the 30-35 yr yr old mark looks at you as an old person, to be put out to pasture. I wish the common labor luck in finding a job after the age of 50 and 55.

After doing many, many different things in my earlier days (advertising sales, proofreading, directing a non-profit organization, etc), I finally settled into being an executive assistant which is where I found my niche. Believe me, that is one field that age and experience are appreciated. My former bosses still call me a couple times a year asking if I'd be interested in coming back to work on a part-time or temporary business. One said it's because I know whose ass to kiss, whose ass to kick and where the skeletons are buried. I'm not at all interested, but it's an ego boost being asked.

I work for the Gov and have been for 20 years. A lady who just retired went through this program and she learned enough skills to land a secretarial position with us. Though her retirement isn't very big, she decided at age 68 to stop working. You'd be surprised what skills you have from volunteer work.

Back