Working Hard Will Kill You!

• The deaths of about 745,000 people in 2016 were linked to long working hours, an increase of nearly 30 per cent from 2000
  • The WHO's Maria Neira said "working 55 hours or more per week is a serious health hazard"
  • Long hours are linked to a 35 per cent higher stroke risk
  • The joint study, produced by the WHO and the International Labour Organization, showed that most victims (72 per cent) were men and were middle-aged or older.
Now, I know why I'm still alive. I retired at the age of 53.5 and have been smelling the flowers ever since. The above facts might show why women live longer than men. Women are more sociable and know that smelling flowers, reading books and traveling is more important than killing yourself working "like a dog."
I retired in 2012 about 2½ months before I turned 55.

I'm bored but I'm fairly healthy and very relaxed.

I think the thread title is misleading. The article as presented doesn't mention working hard it's linked to long working hours. Working long hours doing something you enjoy doing, I doubt was the intent of the writer.

Over my lifetime of jobs that I was able to quit & work at something different some of those I could work long hours and not feel that I was working hard. When I became bored & saw a better opportunity quitting something I enjoyed wasn't easy. But the challenge of succeeding at something different made the challenge worthwhile.

My last "job" was a position in corporate structure unlike the previous blue collar "jobs" I had. When the opportunity to retire at age 54 surfaced with fantastic benefits I looked at retirement as another challenge. Retirement has been relaxing & obviously the key to living longer. My parents died before reaching 62 . My older brother at age 45, next at 61 & youngest at 61. Lifestyle played a major role, I saw what they were doing & did differently. I happy to be 80, in excellent health & looking forward to many more birthdays.

I've worked part time all of my life while mostly attending college. I graduated from community college at age 56 and completed my Bachelor's degree in 2017 at age 62. Although I started late, I finished big. Will somebody wake me for the next show?

Back