Working through a browser.

Roadwarrior

Sitting here thinking about the ongoing discussion about buying a Chromebook. Thoughts about applications or processes that I personally do on a computer be it laptop-tablet-desktop-smartphone,,,etc. What things does the average user do that isn't browser-based? I personally do have one application that I use that isn't through a browser, but other than that I can do everything else. What do you do that isn't browser based? So does it matter what OS you use?

I use a word processor and spreadsheet programs, as well as managing/editing photos. My husband has programs such as financial data and taxes. We have Windows 10 and Apple computers, as well as iPads. I owned a chromebook a few years ago but gave it to my grandson.

I use a word processor and spreadsheet programs, as well as managing/editing photos. My husband has programs such as financial data and taxes. We have Windows 10 and Apple computers, as well as iPads. I owned a chromebook a few years ago but gave it to my grandson.
All the apps you mentioned can be accessed through a browser, I used tax programs until I retired then found that the free browser based ones met my needs. Most brokerage houses are accessed through a browser /w gobs of tech apps to track your investments , Mint (personal finances) is browser based. Have you ever used GIMP for photos? The cloud is the new paradigm. I'm not against Mac, or MS, I personally haven't found anything I can't do with Linux. I guess it's just a personal choice, I say use what you want. I guess I'm getting too frugal in my old age free is better for me. Enjoy your choice.

Of course; these things are a personal choice. You asked what I use that isn't browser based and I responded. I don't care to use any cloud-based storage and I don't. I also don't trust my finances on a cloud. Besides, I can use any locally-installed programs without an internet connection.

I have a desk-top which I only seem to use for my photos. Don't need to even connect to the internet for that. It's just so much quicker to use the chromebook, although I'm concerned about my privacy. I've started browsing in guest mode as google now passes on your e-mail address to every site you visit, resulting in more spam.

I have a desk-top which I only seem to use for my photos. Don't need to even connect to the internet for that. It's just so much quicker to use the chromebook, although I'm concerned about my privacy. I've started browsing in guest mode as google now passes on your e-mail address to every site you visit, resulting in more spam.
@Rosemarie I have not noticed any increase in spam mail since I got my Chromebook..

I never had a computer or printer that worked well without a corded USB connection. Wireless sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Might be operator error or lack of knowledge. I'm totally self taught

Back