Working with Incontinence

Patnono

I'm starting a new job tomorrow as a cashier, thing is Im Diabetic with that comes having to go to the bathroom many times a day. Don't think they would like that? At my last job they wanted a doctor's note verifying my condition. I wear overnight pads and always carry extras just in case. I hadn't given it much thought before. Should I tell them about my condition?

I wouldn't - unless they ask why you need to leave your post more often. It's none of their business.

When I worked, my moronic supervisor would frequently reprimand me for snacking at my desk even after I explained to him about my blood sugar dropping & needing to eat more often. His reaction was: "If I let you do it, I have to let everyone else do it."
My sister & I are both diabetic. She's still working. I'm retired. I'll describe my sister's job experience:
She was hired as a receptionist at an employment agency. After she had been there for a few weeks, a co-worker saw her giving herself insulin & told her boss. Her boss asked her what type of injection she was giving herself. She said, "Insulin. I'm diabetic." Her boss got mad & asked, "Why didn't you tell me you were diabetic before I hired you?"
She replied, "Because it has nothing to do with my job; I'm not flying a passenger plane or driving a school bus."
Well, she's still working there. The owner wouldn't DARE fire her because she'd have a very costly discrimination lawsuit.

So...why would he have wanted to know she was diabetic? Probably because his insurance carrier told him not to hire people with chronic conditions because their insurance costs & medical coverage premiums are much higher.

I wouldn't - unless they ask why you need to leave your post more often. It's none of their business.

When I worked, my moronic supervisor would frequently reprimand me for snacking at my desk even after I explained to him about my blood sugar dropping & needing to eat more often. His reaction was: "If I let you do it, I have to let everyone else do it."
My sister & I are both diabetic. She's still working. I'm retired. I'll describe my sister's job experience:
She was hired as a receptionist at an employment agency. After she had been there for a few weeks, a co-worker saw her giving herself insulin & told her boss. Her boss asked her what type of injection she was giving herself. She said, "Insulin. I'm diabetic." Her boss got mad & asked, "Why didn't you tell me you were diabetic before I hired you?"
She replied, "Because it has nothing to do with my job; I'm not flying a passenger plane or driving a school bus."
Well, she's still working there. The owner wouldn't DARE fire her because she'd have a very costly discrimination lawsuit.

So...why would he have wanted to know she was diabetic? Probably because his insurance carrier told him not to hire people with chronic conditions because their insurance costs & medical coverage premiums are much higher.

I hadn't given it any thought at the time? they can't ask you those kinds of questions either. It would be descrimination. My last boss gave me a hard time about it and requested a doctor's note. We'll see, hopefully it will be ok?

I shouldn't have any problem with eating, they get breaks every 2 hours. Bathroom will be my only problem?

I shouldn't have any problem with eating, they get breaks every 2 hours. Bathroom will be my only problem?
I know. I only mentioned eating as an example of the problems it can cause. Some co-workers will say stuff like, "Wow....she gets special treatment....what makes her so special..... I want more breaks, too." That's how people are.

I know. I only mentioned eating as an example of the problems it can cause. Some co-workers will say stuff like, "Wow....she gets special treatment....what makes her so special..... I want more breaks, too." That's how people are.

Yes, but it can be explained to them, I can see them understanding given the circumstances?

I used to take a bladder incontinence med years ago and it worked great, leaving me with only having to pee around three times a day while working fulltime...since retirement I dont need it since I'm always close to the potty...

I used to take a bladder incontinence med years ago and it worked great, leaving me with only having to pee around three times a day while working fulltime...since retirement I dont need it since I'm always close to the potty...

Thanks, what kind of meds where they? Prescribed? I'm retired too, but needed to go back to work, my landlord keeps raising my rent and l like to travel. Enjoy retirement 🙂

A friend of mine had to go to the bathroom almost every 30 minutes and her doctor prescribed a medication to help control the frequency. She was pleased with the medication and said she no longer feels tied to the bathroom. So do talk with your doctor.

A friend of mine had to go to the bathroom almost every 30 minutes and her doctor prescribed a medication to help control the frequency. She was pleased with the medication and said she no longer feels tied to the bathroom. So do talk with your doctor.
That's Great, could you ask your friend what's the name of the medication? Please. I told my doctor she pretty much ignored me? Thanks

those plastic underwear at any supermarket, dept store are a tad expensive and a real pain to wear. They don't actually solve the problem,
but they do keep your clothing dry-mostly.
Males have much easier times that females, we can get away with shielding ourselves behind a
car door...and we are forgiven quicker for 'gross behavior.'
'Damn man, couldn't you hold it?'
'Yea, but peeing in trash cans is fun.'
As Monthy Python would say 'it's a pain in the naughty parts.'

That's Great, could you ask your friend what's the name of the medication? Please. I told my doctor she pretty much ignored me? Thanks
I see a lot of commercials for Myrbetriq (sp?) The commercial shows only a woman using it, so I don’t know if it’s for both sexes or not.
I have a friend that had a tumor on his spine and whizzes himself without warning, so he has to wear a diaper. He constantly complains about having to change the diaper, but says it’s better than wearing a bag.

Just thought about something. When my mother was diagnosed with diabetes, they put her on Lasix which caused her to go to the bathroom constantly. I spoke with the doctor and he said she could take it every other day or every 3 days if she felt more comfortable with it. As she got older, she was taken off the Lasix completely because she was so unsteady it became an issue that she could fall easily getting up and down so much. So check with your doctor if he's got you taking Lasix (also known as 'the water pill'). It may just be a matter of taking them less often in your case too.

Just thought about something. When my mother was diagnosed with diabetes, they put her on Lasix which caused her to go to the bathroom constantly. I spoke with the doctor and he said she could take it every other day or every 3 days if she felt more comfortable with it. As she got older, she was taken off the Lasix completely because she was so unsteady it became an issue that she could fall easily getting up and down so much. So check with your doctor if he's got you taking Lasix (also known as 'the water pill'). It may just be a matter of taking them less often in your case too.

No I'm on mediformin, but incontinence comes with age and Diabetes. My medicare kicks in December, hopefully I'll get better quality doctors, see if I can get my bladder lifted, I have to wear overnight pads.

Patnono:
what is procedure for lifting bladder, just how much cutting is involved. Interested, but not if their gong to cut on me.

I have a friend who's had it done, and happy with the results done many many years ago. This is a common procedure for woman with Incontinence. I need to ask her those questions. When I find out, I'll let you know 🙂

Back