• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Bloviate

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
Bloviate. Talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way.

Those who bloviate, I refuse to repudiate.

From Wikipedia: "Bloviation in Ohio was originally idle chatter. As a form of political speech, it appears in the Debates and Proceedings of the Convention for the Revision of the State of Ohio in the mid 19th century. One etymology suggests that the word is a "compound of blow, in its sense of 'to boast' (also in another typical Americanism, blowhard), with a mock-Latin ending to give it the self-important stature implicit in its meaning."

Currently, bloviation is not observed here because the leadership does not know any 'big' words; what we hear is more like the definition given by journalist H. L. Mencken: "It is a kind of baby talk, a puerile and wind-blown gibberish. In sound it is like a rehearsal by a country band, with only the bass-drummer keeping time. In content it is a vacuum."

From Wikipedia: "Bloviation in Ohio was originally idle chatter. As a form of political speech, it appears in the Debates and Proceedings of the Convention for the Revision of the State of Ohio in the mid 19th century. One etymology suggests that the word is a "compound of blow, in its sense of 'to boast' (also in another typical Americanism, blowhard), with a mock-Latin ending to give it the self-important stature implicit in its meaning."

Currently, bloviation is not observed here because the leadership does not know any 'big' words; what we hear is more like the definition given by journalist H. L. Mencken: "It is a kind of baby talk, a puerile and wind-blown gibberish. In sound it is like a rehearsal by a country band, with only the bass-drummer keeping time. In content it is a vacuum."
ROFLMAO!

One of the best entries I've come across... possibly ever! 👏

I don't know if I ever bloviate but pardon me if I do.

:LOL:
Yes, I definitely would excuse any wonderful friend or family member, such as yourself :)
who once in a while, bloviates, or should I say, speaks or behaves,
in a temporarily bloviated manner. ;)

I am not sure if this word is used as an adjective form, ...but according to one of the above posts, I cannot google it to find out. :ROFLMAO::giggle:

Back