Would you ever consider going back to work?

I might consider it. The days are so long and I don't get a lot of social contact. It would need to part time. It would have to be something as simple as a receptionist, or library clerk. Shoot, I would even like to work in a restaurant kitchen just doing prep work for salads and vegetables. I don't think I could keep up with the hardwork that @Georgiagranny does in the bakery, but it does sound fun. I would not mind working in assisted living, helping those to be able to eat, that need to be fed, take them outside in the sunshine, read to them, do puzzles and crafts. I think I would have to get a certfication to do that. Right now, I am not/have not been able to be active. I hope that changes this year

I'll go back when hell freezes over. Not one minute sooner.
My working life was always stimulating, I loved it. The last twelve years of work I ran my own business with my brother as a partner. At the end of that twelve years we had a bad debt, a customer had gone bust owing us money. My brother suggested that it might be time to call it a day. We sold the business for quite a considerable amount.

Two years later, that same brother had brought his golf handicap down to single figures, I, on the other hand, having no such consuming past times, had spent most of that time writing a book about my wife and I and our adventures in our vintage MG car.

A chance phone call from a former client, along the lines of: "What are you doing?" That always means, "I need help but etiquette requires an opening remark that is innocuous." "You have a problem?" I said. "Alan has been diagnosed as having a TIA." The former client explained, adding, "he must take a year off." then went on with a little flattery, "you know every crack and crevice in this industry, would you help us?" The year was 2010, I was 64. Alan had his year's recovery and is back to full health, he is still working there. How do I know? I'm still working there too. 76 and still going strong.

As a postscript, I have just had a litmus test as to whether it's time to call it a day. New Year's Eve, my wife and I came down with covid, I have been off work, isolating and have now been negative for over a week. Tomorrow I start back and the litmus test shows that I am looking forward to it. Work is about horses for courses. If work is a means to an end and the sooner that end comes, you are off, good luck to you. But if work is a stimulus and going there is not a drudge, then go for it. I don't do it for the money but I do admit that the pay does make life rather comfortable.

No but I enjoy a few hours voluntary work each week, hours to suit me, break whenever I want one, no uniform or rules, if work had been like that I might not have retired !
That's more or less what I do, although not quite hours to suit. My work is in the transport industry, that's warehouses, fork lifts, delivery vans, huge great trucks with double deck trailers and lots of, what most describe as, hairy ass drivers, but there are a couple of ladies too. And one very amusing cross dresser.

Having run such operations and had my own, I can do anything from taking charge to running a truck to the garage for service and repairs. I call myself a gopher, I go for this and I go for that. It's one of those stroke of luck jobs, right place, right time. The company needs such like and without one they would have to call in someone on a needs must from a staff agency. With agency staff you never know what you are getting. So it's a win, win for both of us. You can all turn over in the morning, I shall be out, filling my day and enjoying myself.

That's more or less what I do, although not quite hours to suit. My work is in the transport industry, that's warehouses, fork lifts, delivery vans, huge great trucks with double deck trailers and lots of, what most describe as, hairy ass drivers, but there are a couple of ladies too. And one very amusing cross dresser.

Having run such operations and had my own, I can do anything from taking charge to running a truck to the garage for service and repairs. I call myself a gopher, I go for this and I go for that. It's one of those stroke of luck jobs, right place, right time. The company needs such like and without one they would have to call in someone on a needs must from a staff agency. With agency staff you never know what you are getting. So it's a win, win for both of us. You can all turn over in the morning, I shall be out, filling my day and enjoying myself.
@horseless carriage Me to! :D I gopher breakfast, I gopher a stroll round the shops, I gopher lunch, I gopher the gym but I never, ever gopher anything resembling work ;):)

I retired twice... Once at 50.. and after a few years I got fed up and bored so I started a whole new Career... lasted another few years, and then I had to give it up because my back was causing me a lot of trouble. if that hadn't happened I'd probably still be working now. I'd be happy to go back to work again now, as long as I could stand and sit whenever I wanted, and the work wasn't anything to do with the public ( God help us all)..

Back