Would you live with one or more of your adult children if you got old and alone?

StarSong

Awkward is my Superpower
This question was posed in a game thread and it started me thinking.

I'd probably not share living quarters with one of my children, but if I were unable to live fully independently I could imagine paying for a granny-flat type place added to their property (one of my sons lives on 1/2 acre.

What about some of the rest of you? What would you do - or have you done?

I get along just wonderful with all of my grown kids .... that's because we don't live together!

When I sold my house and was thinking of my next move, my youngest daughter assumed that I would be moving in with her family.
It took some convincing on my part, that we would all be better off if I spread my wings and tried something new.
So for the first time in my life, I decided I wanted to try living alone (after losing my husband) in a Senior apartment. .. best decision ever.

So I guess I fit the description of 'old and alone', but I'm loving life this way.

Last edited:
I'd live in an Annexe or Granny flat in the grounds of my DD's house... but I couldn't possibly live in the same house, she's far too Bossy.. she would drive me insane... :eek:
Yup, that’s my daughter as well, bossy I love her to death but just could not do it, she is always correcting me about stuff. Honest to Pete, apparently I’ve been dummer than dirt since she was born, just let me live in ignorance. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yup, that’s my daughter as well, bossy I love her to death but just could not do it, she is always correcting me about stuff. Honest to Pete, apparently I’ve been dummer than dirt since she was born, just let me live in ignorance. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Are they sisters from another mister ?... yup that's mine too..I don't know how I manage to find my own way home without her instructions..:ROFLMAO:

I live alone on my 77-acre farm since my wife passed away 6 years ago. My DIL lives next door or about 800 ft. away (use to be MILs house) & she is an ENT so I got good care when I need it. I have one of the "Senior care" pendants & if I need any help just put the button & they will call her before calling 911

I live alone on my 77-acre farm since my wife passed away 6 years ago. My DIL lives next door or about 800 ft. away (use to be MILs house) & she is an ENT so I got good care when I need it. I have one of the "Senior care" pendants & if I need any help just put the button & they will call her before calling 911
You're probably in the most ideal position anyone can be when they're older and live alone...

No way! My son and his wife are nice people,…… but:
My son’s house is like Grand Central. He is a High School coach and people are running in and out of there constantly. My 36 year old granddaughter lives there and is incredibly messy, especially in the bathroom which we would have to share. I am no neat freak, but all of them are messy. My ex-wife is in and out of there frequently. She doesn’t give me any trouble, except that she thinks that we should be pals and that is not happening. My DIL thinks she is a good cook, but she is not.

My daughter and her significant other are also great people and they live about 20 miles from my son. It would be the same situation with my ex-wife even though she cheated on me over 50 years ago and has racked up 5 more marriages since then. (I have heard that the number is actually 7). My daughter also has six dogs and three cats in a fairly small house. While I love cats and dogs, that is too many for me.

No, I intend to spend their inheritance living in a senior living facility where someone else does the cooking and the cleaning. My wife of 36 years is 100% with me on this.

Well, that’s the problem isn’t it? They won’t pretend you are not there and next you will be cleaning up, babysitting, cooking (well, I won’t be cooking unless they want to die), and other stuff.

Might as well get a job as a maid. 😂😂😂
No they may think that but after about five days they would understand, grandma needs her space.

Back