Yer sayin’ it wrong!!

When I hear these, my ears hurt! Thanx for posting. There is one, though, that's often neither right nor wrong, depending on in what context it's used: A bald-faced lie -- or barefaced, as it's often called in England -- means one that is undisguised and clearly untrue. A bold-faced lie, on the other hand, is one that is impudent or disrespectful [source: Grammarphobia]. Many lies would fall under both categories.

Oh, #14 reminded me of a line from an old t.v. show. A teenager was telling his mother about a new restaurant in town. Intending to say "Do you know whose parents went there?" he garbled up the words and it came out "You'll never guess who went there's parents!"

(edited to correct error)

Last edited:
One I heard a long time ago. At a children's choir practice, the choirmaster listened closely to one child. He was singing," gladly the cross-eyed bear" rather than "gladly the cross I'd bear"
Long ago, children hearing the Pledge of Allegiance wrong was allegedly so common that there was a story in the Reader's Digest magazine. It said many little kids heard 'for which it stands' as 'for Richard Stanz.' When I was in the earliest grades I heard it as 'where witches stand'- and kinda mentally processed a line of witches standing in a row saluting the flag.

Mentioned above, but a pet peeve is using "of" as a verb (as in "should of"). Just because the contraction "should've" (for "should have") sounds like "of" does not mean it is correct.

Maybe they should try to conjugate this "of":
I of
You of
He/she/it ofs
We of
You of
They of

Not. :ROFLMAO:

Back