Yesterday at the bank

Yup!

I took a good sized cashiers check into the bank and was depositing it into my checking account. The perky young teller started babbling about how she hoped I was going to use all of that money for something fun. I told her the money was being used to pay for a family funeral. It was a small lie but I was trying to make the point that she should just be quiet and do her job or talk about the weather, not about my transaction. I'm sure that it didn't make any difference and she is still babbling away.

I was annoyed one time with the bank teller being pushy with me. I had a CD mature and I closed it out and took a check for it, planning to deposit it in my checking and when the check cleared to move that money to a liquid account at an online bank where I could access the cash as needed and earn an acceptable interest rate on the money in the account. But I didn't tell her all that, it was none of her business.

So I had the signed check and my deposit slip filled out and told her I wanted to deposit it in my checking account. She did start to ask me what my plans were for the money and started rattling off some 'wonderful' accounts of theirs that I could put it in instead. Each time I said not interested, she started trying to sell me on something else. I finally had to put her in her place and order her to just deposit it in my checking, she knew by my tone to just shut up and do her job. I hate any high pressure sales people, or anyone trying to influence me on what to do with my hard earned money, especially when their 'advice' just earns them a commission.

" Oh...That's a very nice sized money order! What are you going to do with all that money...Vacation, buy a car?"

"Between you and me....Please keep this to yourself....I'm hiring a hitman to bump off my Wife's sister. She drives me crazy. Always asking personal questions about financial stuff. So, he's waiting outside so can you hurry up? I wanna get this done today."

Went to the bank to get a money order. The gal who took care of me asked what I was planning to do with my money order....shopping, buy a new car, go on an expensive vacation.....she’s lucky I didn’t tell her it was none of her f****ing business. Have you ever had this happen?
Not a money order just a cash withdrawal slip for the amount needed to buy the new small car my wife wanted. Teller said that's a lot of cash what's it for? Not taking it as a question to be upset about I smiled and said I don't like car payments and my wife wants a new car. Teller said I wish I could do that. I said you can if you plan your retirement well. That ended our conversation.

BTW it is a 2019 Fully loaded Chevy Spark

I sure did, once.
I was depositing my pay check & the teller (girl around 20) asked me, "Is this a part-time or full-time check?" She had always been overly friendly to me & I guess that was her way of finding out how much money I made & if it was worth it to her to get involved with me. I was so surprised, I couldn't answer immediately; I was asking myself, "Did I really hear that?"
I didn't answer her & I didn't want to get her in trouble, so I didn't complain to the bank Manager. Later, I thought I should have gently explained to her why she shouldn't ask such a question.

Yes I have had that happen.. If you're withdrawing more than 3k Cash from my bank you have to give them at least 24 hours notice . I did this when I went to buy a new car..I was drawing substantially more than 3K.. and was asked by the teller what I was using it for, I told her I was buying a new car, but afterwards I thought I should have told her to mind her own business!!

30 years ago I had too much $ in a checking account because I could not decide where to put it as an investment. The cashier viewing the amount became very flirtatious and was not trying to be subtle about it. I was flattered as she was very beautiful but I was also committed to someone at the time.

As for me, my wife and I knowing my "sense of humor", I would have told her, in a sarcastic way, "a nice Caribbean vacation and by the way, you can't go". Saying that with a smile. Or, just some other BS story or simply say "I'm going shopping".

Nothing to get in a tussle about.

Went to the bank to get a money order. The gal who took care of me asked what I was planning to do with my money order....shopping, buy a new car, go on an expensive vacation.....she’s lucky I didn’t tell her it was none of her f****ing business. Have you ever had this happen?

Now, now, now, you shouldn't talk that way to employees of a bank. She was only wondering.

Yep. Made a comment in "feedback" to the bank. About all I could do and maybe the customer service representative wasn't aware of how he was being heard. :rolleyes:

No one has ever asked me what I'm going to do with what I'm taking out at the bank, but maybe the staff are supposed to be alert in case granny or grampa is taking their life savings to ransome their grandson who is being held hostage by Mongoosian Outlaws or has to send it to a Kolonoscopian Prince in order to get the million in unclaimed ffunds he has for them. My strategy with unwelcome questions is to give the asker a blank look for a few seconds and then say "Why do you ask?" or " Are you sure you want to ask me that?"

Yes, I'm sure that bank employees are trained to determine when older people are withdrawing a large amount of money, to make sure they aren't being scammed somehow. I haven't actually had that kind of questioning from a teller. But then, I haven't done any kind of transaction with larger sums of money with a teller. On the other hand, scammers usually want the money sent by Western Union.

HaHaHa...Good for you Deb.....

never happened in my younger days - a sign of the times - but bad practice in my opinion and needs pointing out either to them or managers - talking about the weather ; appearance etc is one thing but not your money - that's private and personal - but this over friendly attitude is creeping into everything and US senior should make a stand

I generally try to be courteous and friendly with service people whom I find myself dealing with. I'd rather make their day better rather than worse. I'm not always successful, but I do try.

As for bank cashiers, I don't recall ever being asked such questions. I've known several people who earn more in a month than I've made in my entire life, so I've always figured that my little $xx,000 transaction is small change compared to some that cashiers handle on a regular basis.

I worked at a large bank for seven years. Tellers are the worst-paid employees but have the most direct customer interaction. One of the jokes made in banking is that you can tell who are the most important/well-paid people - the more $$$$$$ they make, the less they deal with the public.

In fact, at our bank, virtually no one from Asst. VP on up EVER directly dealt with the public. Only business, investment, or large facility loan customers.

I would imagine most tellers are like the ones at our bank, where large transactions engender a question about utilizing the bank's investment options.

They were expected, instructed, and RATED on doing so. They were dinged on performance appraisals if they did not do ask.

I just smiled, and politely say I have no need of their services right now.

I see no reason to be obnoxious or rude to lower-level employees. I have been in their shoes, and there is a good reason why I GOT OUT of public customer service jobs. I did not enjoy people dumping on me just because they could enjoy being mean. But it definitely makes you appreciate the people who are smiling and pleasant, even as they say "No thanks!"

I had to laugh about the ""creeping over friendly attitude " , made me think of the olden days in Northern New England where making ordinary transactions with the fewest words & least expression
possible was a mark of good breeding.

Back