Yorkies make great guard dogs!

I had a Australian silky terrier which was great and chasing anything away ,I use to call her a miniature German Shepard cause she didn’t care what size a intruder was she would take them on ..just so happens we don’t have bears in the wild here in Australia
I believe ST are a cross Australian / Yorkshire terrier

Actually they DO make great watchdogs.
Ours won’t back down from anything if it was a threat to me otherwise she has a great temperament. I’ve had two German shepherds and this little Yorkie can keep up and then some. It seems smaller dogs make up in attitude what they are missing in size.

No doubt Yorkies are great watchdogs. They're also good at running away and not coming back until they are good and ready. I was a dog groomer for a few years and they were the worst—lots of biting—in fact it took two of us to groom the cutest little 3 lb. guy.
Yep my Australian Silky Terrier was just like that ..you’d call her would she’d would look over her shoulder at me and just keep going on her merry way @grannyb

And talk about fussy food wise hubby used to say to me you spend more time inthe dog food isle just trying to find something SHE would consider good enough to eat
than doing all of our food shopping .
But if I offered her A bowl of mashed potato with a stewy type of food on top she would eat it without even stopping to look what it was ,she loved homemade human food .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Silky_Terrier

Last edited:
No doubt Yorkies are great watchdogs. They're also good at running away and not coming back until they are good and ready. I was a dog groomer for a few years and they were the worst—lots of biting—in fact it took two of us to groom the cutest little 3 lb. guy.
Don’t stereotype all Yorkies the same cause my dog has never run away from anything. She’s a real trouper. That Yorkie just wasn’t trained well. Ours is. 🤭

Last edited:
Yep my Australian Silky Terrier was just like that ..you’d call her would she’d would look over her shoulder at me and just keep going on her merry way @grannyb

And talk about fussy food wise hubby used to say to me you spend more time inthe dog food isle just trying to find something SHE would consider good enough to eat
than doing all of our food shopping .
But if I offered her A bowl of mashed potato with a stewy type of food on top she would eat it without even stopping to look what it was ,she loved homemade human food .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Silky_Terrier
Homemade human food?
That’s all ours ever eat.☺️Lol
Spoiled but wouldn’t have it any other way.

Homemade human food?
That’s all ours ever eat.☺️Lol
Spoiled but wouldn’t have it any other way.
Yep even if I bought the likes of “ fresh meat “ from the pet food shop and cooked it my Middy wouldn’t have a bar of it .…She would pick up her plastic bowl which was just a little plastic soup bowl and take it out into the lawn and sit & watch the wild birds eat the food she thought wasn’t good enough for her to eat :D :D

Yep even if I bought the likes of “ fresh meat “ from the pet food shop and cooked it my Middy wouldn’t have a bar of it .…She would pick up her plastic bowl which was just a little plastic soup bowl and take it out into the lawn and sit & watch the wild birds eat the food she thought wasn’t good enough for her to eat :D :D
Ours dogs have been eating fresh food for so long now that if we tried switching them over to plain dog kibble and think they’d put themselves up for adoption. 😂
They ARE adorable though are they? Lol ☺️

Back