Yorkshire Pudding - the easy version

Jules

SF VIP
It's for popovers which are basically the same as Yorkshire but they don't sink in the middle. They are more like a bun. But the same texture.

The secret of these is to start with a cold oven and not to peek for the entire baking time.

This makes 6.

2 eggs ,
1 cup milk,
1 cup flour,
1/4 tsp salt

Break eggs in a bowl.

Add milk, flour and salt.

Mix well with a spoon, disregarding lumps

Mix well with a good whisk or mixer.

Fill greased popover pans or muffin tins 3/4 full

Put into oven.

Set control to 450 and turn on heat. Maybe 425, mine were getting dark quickly.

Bake 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Noooo spoon... not unless you have strong arm muscles because Yorkshire pudding batter needs a lot of air beaten into it to make them rise high.. so best to use a mixer. It's imperative that the lumps of flour are removed... and the batter is of a pouring consistency like single cream..

Put the batter into the fridge for 1/2 an hour minimum, and in the meantime a little bit of oil into each muffin tin..or you can make a BIG YP in a baking tray..... set the oven for very hot, put the tray into the oven until the oil is giving off a haze of smoke.. then , pour the cold batter..( approx one ladle full into each muffin case.. and put the tray into the oven.

It's very important not to open the oven door while the YP's are baking because like a soufflé, if you let the air in they will collapse flat... and not be cooked in the middle..

Many people use a mix of milk and water instead of all milk, to ensure the YP's are very light

ETA...I just noticed Jules said to use a Cold oven.....NOooooo..never do this. The secret of YP's are lots of air ...and a piping hot preheated oven...

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipe Jules. The sunken in part is for holding in the gravy.
My mom made the best Yorkshire puddings
Before grade 2 my mom usually cooked a roast beef dinner with roast potatoes, peas , Yorkshire puddings and gravy and it was one of the best things she ever made. Her trifle was good also
IMG_1095.jpeg

Last edited:
@Gaer I had never had one either but then my son and his wife went to a special restaurant for dinner.
This was the bread of the house. They brought one home to me. Very airy, crispy on the outside, fluffy soft inside. Had a strong eggy flavor. It was delicious!!
it really shouldn't have a strong eggy taste... it should just taste like crispy Air...:D

ETA...I just noticed Jules said to use a Cold oven.....NOooooo..never do this. The secret of YP's are lots of air ...and a piping hot preheated oven...
Yes, I know this for real Yorkshire Pudding. I’ve made many. This is an improvised, easy version that works well when you want something easy and quick.

I will edit the line about using a spoon. I don’t do that. I have a nice whisk that does a good job.

Yes, I know this for real Yorkshire Pudding. I’ve made many. This is an improvised, easy version that works well when you want something easy and quick.

I will edit the line about using a spoon. I don’t do that. I have a nice whisk that does a good job.
I see what you mean Jules.. but for YP's there MUST be a piping hot oven...or else you end up with thick pancakes..:D

sorry..I'm not clear about your recipe..are you saying you are making a YP batter then cooking them in a cold oven and they still rise like YP's ?
They’re not flat; they’re not high rising like a real YP. @debodun wanted YP and didn’t have the ingredients to make them. I gave her a simple, reasonable alternative that should almost meet what she wants.

Back