Young Women Especially Need to be Hyper-vigilant.

I was reading an article in a magazine that I get 4 times a year and in every issue, I have noticed that there is a story about a young woman, usually senior high school or college age. These girls seem to get a few drinks in them and their logic and good judgment disappears. Young girls don’t seem to understand or learn that they are vulnerable to egregious acts of violence anytime they are alone. I have told them stories of acts of violence that their minds could not possibly understand. Young girls have a sense of being intolerant to being harmed. Many of them believe they are invincible.

Each year, law enforcement investigate about 2500 murders of young women. The suspect us usually and ex-boyfriend or husband, a co-worker or even a stranger. We tell young women to never travel alone, to carry some protection, even if it’s just mace, and to always be with a friend when leaving a bar or nightclub. There’s not much else we can do. I have even picked up women hitch hiking late at night and taken them home. We just can’t get through to them the dangers they put themselves in.

Now, why did I post this? Fifteen years ago, a friend of mine lost his daughter to a similar situation. He was so distraught over his daughter’s death, he committed suicide on his daughter’s grave. I told his wife at the funeral of her husband that I would speak to as many young women as I could that they needed to be extra cautious when out alone. I hope that you remind all of your granddaughters to be extra careful and never leave a bar or nightclub alone or with someone they don’t know or just met. We don’t live in a peaceful, friendly world anymore. Each of us have to have our sensors working around the clock.

We don’t live in a peaceful, friendly world anymore. Each of us have to have our sensors working around the clock.
I agree with everything you said. Part of the problem with the young is they think they are invincible & that it only happens to others. Part of that attitude is prevalent in adults as well, especially the latter.

I believe this has always happened, but only the locals in the area it occurred in knew. Now we have we have 24/7 news & the internet that makes heard all over.

Given my family's background & mine (LE), I have no illusion of what happens in this world. I grew up hearing things directly from the source & being warned it could happen to you & don't take anything for granted. Our kids were told the same thing growing up. We still keep our heads on a swivel no matter where we are at.

Bad people are everywhere. Not only can they reside in your neighborhood, but they have access to transportation so they can go anywhere they want. Just last week a young man was seen walking my SIL neighborhood during the day. She seen him as well as her retired neighbor (everyone one else is at work). A day or two later, her neighbor seen someone on her back patio about midnight, but thought it was a grand kid since the light was on (motion detector) & he was just standing there. The next day we I was there & he told me about.

After talking, I called the PD & had someone stop out. We found out nothing had happened in the neighborhood, but they'd keep an eye out for this person & do some extra checks since she lives there alone. She does set her alarm everynight & so far nothing else has happened at her house.

IMO, it's becoming worse because nothing is being done to hold the criminals responsible for their actions. They know they can get away with just about everything & anything. Catch & release for misdemeanors being cited into court is becoming the norm. Sentences are too light in all levels of the justice system as well. I could go on & on.

@911, Thank you for mentioning that.
I was invincible when I was young and alone but that
was an entirely different era!
I've picked up young, (as young as 14) girls hitch-hiking
alone at 2 AM and drove them home! Waited until they
got inside their house. Lectured them!

Another thing (and this affects Senior Forum) is loving
grandparents who want to show how adorable their
Grandchildren are and flaunt pictures on- line of them.
Don't they know how dangerous this is for their Grandkids?

Last edited:
Each year, law enforcement investigate about 2500 murders of young women. The suspect us usually and ex-boyfriend or husband, a co-worker or even a stranger. We tell young women to never travel alone, to carry some protection, even if it’s just mace, and to always be with a friend when leaving a bar or nightclub. There’s not much else we can do. I have even picked up women hitch hiking late at night and taken them home. We just can’t get through to them the dangers they put themselves in.
All good points made ..................
I have never understood the complete disregard of the obvious self protection methods by so many............
the buddy system of going with other girl friends etc and not leaving a drink or accepting a drink or taking a ride from someone you do not know ... all of this has been true forever.........

Yet we still have those who do this....... i feel it is more then feeling fearless but the false notion that anyone who cautions about things are victim blaming.....

When I traveled alone to Alaska, (younger years) I bought a gun in the event of grizzlies.
Called the sheriff's dept. to see if I needed any special permits.
They said "No, Keep it under a sweater in the front seat. or something, for easy access".
Didn't matter. They took it from me at the Canadian border!

But, I'd say, if you don't want to carry a gun, WASP SPRAY! Right in an attacker's face!
So glad 911 brought up this thread. We're seniors, but we have Grandchildren!

I was reading an article in a magazine that I get 4 times a year and in every issue, I have noticed that there is a story about a young woman, usually senior high school or college age. These girls seem to get a few drinks in them and their logic and good judgment disappears. Young girls don’t seem to understand or learn that they are vulnerable to egregious acts of violence anytime they are alone. I have told them stories of acts of violence that their minds could not possibly understand. Young girls have a sense of being intolerant to being harmed. Many of them believe they are invincible.

Now, why did I post this? Fifteen years ago, a friend of mine lost his daughter to a similar situation. He was so distraught over his daughter’s death, he committed suicide on his daughter’s grave. I told his wife at the funeral of her husband that I would speak to as many young women as I could that they needed to be extra cautious when out alone. I hope that you remind all of your granddaughters to be extra careful and never leave a bar or nightclub alone or with someone they don’t know or just met. We don’t live in a peaceful, friendly world anymore. Each of us have to have our sensors working around the clock.
I warn my granddaughters all the time as does my daughter, we live in a very violent world.
I am so very sorry about your friend and his daughter.

That's so sad.

Sometimes I watch the ID channel (Investigation Discovery) There are some sad cases on that channel And the See No Evil show utilizes cameras to catch perpetrators. Sometimes showing the victim in their last moments. It's chilling.

@911, Thank you for mentioning that.
I was invincible when I was young and alone but that
was an entirely different era!
I've picked up young, (as young as 14) girls hitch-hiking
alone at 2 AM and drove them home! Waited until they
got inside their house. Lectured them!

Another thing (and this affects Senior Forum) is loving
grandparents who want to show how adorable their
Grandchildren are and flaunt pictures on- line of them.
Don't they know how dangerous this is for their Grandkids?
There is that show on the ID channel Undercover Underage. It's sickening. They use adults who look young, posing as minors. Even they get emotional at the things said to them by these perps because they think they are talking to someone as young as 12.

There is that show on the ID channel Undercover Underage. It's sickening. They use adults who look young, posing as minors. Even they get emotional at the things said to them by these perps because they think they are talking to someone as young as 12.
That is a very disturbing show..... i have questioned in my head if we have always had these creeps after kids ... OR .....

if people are targeting young children........ because we seem to have created a bunch of people who NEVER seem to grow up or mature. parents that seem to coddle adult children clear into their 30s/ 40s.

hard to date their own age when their level of interest is similar to a pre- teen

I have to agree with Pepper, they've always been around. There are so many they will never catch and their victims will deal with it all their lives.

Back