A different type of relationship

stephenPE

I reached out to this person before I married my 3rd wife. We grew up near each other and were the only two in our class to go from 1st grade to 12th. I knew her brother better and used to play at their house by the cemetery. She reached out to me on FB after my divorce but that was not the reason Im sure. She has had a very interesting and tragic life.

She was the oldest of 5 children and had to do most of the housework growing up. Her mother (93) is still alive and she looks after her along with another sibling. We txt each day with greetings in the morning, during the day and then goodnight. She is smart, very funny and extremely talented artist. But she never got any pension or 401k and lives on meager SS. She says she has bad teeth and I know she is embarrassed by her trailer.

She lives near my brother in our old home town. She doesn't want to talk on the phone but says we might one day. She has sent long emails just on her phone. She has told me very personal events in her life. She lost her true love to a heart attack and it still hurts her 8 yrs later. Her life is a financial struggle I know. I love her stories about our home town because we knew all those people. Her life has been MUCH different than mine. I do not push to talk on the phone at all now. I just chat with her on texts. I just love being her friend and she knows it. She sees all my friends on FB and how I interact with them.

I have never had a friendship/relationship like this. I wish I had know what she was like in HS. She is so smart. She and I always were last ones up in our class spelling bees. The problem was she was extremely shy in school and never said a word. So she naivelty entered a terrible marriage early and struggles for many years. Anyone seen this kind of connection?

I have a few female friends I've kept up for that long but no males, although I do have a close male friend that I met about ten years ago who calls or e-mails a few times a week. we have a hobby in common that we discuss.

I think your relationship is very rare and special, I'm glad for both of you that you have each other, especially her since it sounds like she might not have anyone else.

I'm still very friendly with my first high-school boyfriend. We "went steady" all the way through our Junior year. We attempted to rekindle the relationship in college, but it didn't work out.

We found that we were better off being friends than being a couple. We're too much alike to be a couple, but perfect for friends. He'll always have a little corner of my heart, though. He's such a good person.

I have a couple of friends who I have known for more years than I can count, one is an old schoolfriend. There is something special about people who have known you a long time, probably because they know the real you and you know them. It sounds like you both bring something to each other and, of course, that is what a real friendship is.

Last edited:
I have a dear friend in another state. We check on each other several times a day. We have kept it going for more than 20 years. Years ago I was interested in illustrating a book on cats. He is a writer with many cats. I gave up on the illustrations but we became friends

I'm still very friendly with my first high-school boyfriend. We "went steady" all the way through our Junior year. We attempted to rekindle the relationship in college, but it didn't work out.

We found that we were better off being friends than being a couple. We're too much alike to be a couple, but perfect for friends. He'll always have a little corner of my heart, though. He's such a good person.
I still keep in contact with my first love. Her and my first GF came to visit me last month. They are best friends. She even called me the other day. We all grew up together in a small town and small schools. I cherish my relationships with them. Something about women that far exceeds what I have with my male friends. Women are the most resilient and strongest people I know. But I worked with women my entire life in a small elem. school. America needs a woman in charge now. Men have had their chance. They cannot do worse. ( i hope this is not too political)

Back